Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to get that Instamatic (a.k.a. Instagram, Hipstamatic) look?

Hi all,

I've been reading about the Instagram fad in the iPad/iPod world, where people can take a picture, then put it through a filter that makes it look like a snapshot taken in 1973 or thereabouts: square format, surreal colours, high contrast, etc. You can probably find pictures online that have been filtered this way.

I'd like to try to get that look in Xara P&GD 7. Any suggestions? Or should I just experiment.

Default Re: How to get that Instamatic (a.k.a. Instagram, Hipstamatic) look?

I was able to achieve a similar effect to (what I think) you're describing. With the Ehance Photos tool selected, I turned up brightness, contrast, photo temperature, and sharpness. I turned down saturation just a bit. The key is adjusting liberally. The goal is exaggerated effect instead of photo correction.

Hope I understood you correctly...

Check out some live fx stuff... Not sure if you've delved into it yet, but I almost guarantee you that there's SOMETHING free out there... I think there's an entire forum about fx plugins for xara (ps plugins). Sorry I don't have specific examples, but there's tons of links in that forum.

RonC
    Ron Cavagnaro

Hi JustKen, CameraBag that can do effects like that:

http://nevercenter.com/camerabag/desktop/

Marc

Do it with Xara, no plug-ins required. This result created with about 5 minutes of experimentation. I'm sure others could do even better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1970s_photo.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	85639

Photo taken about a month ago
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is a method to get the look of a vintage photo with a faded discolured look, I drew inspiration from some old photos that my mother has from when i was a youngster taken with one of those instamatic cameras you could get back then that you just dropped in the film cartridge. Over the years they took on this strange faded discoloured look

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintagephoto minitut.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	85641
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to have some fun this Christmas!