Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy External Links Not Working

I am working on my first website using Xara Web Designer 7 Premium version, and I'm having trouble with links to external URLs - both with using an image or a line of text for the link.

My "working" design is online here: http://www.tbylaw.com/2011 I have successfully created links to internal web pages with my graphics on the right side, so far the "Accident" and the "Personal Injury" images both work perfectly to their respective pages within the site.

However, both the "State Bar of New Mexico" graphic on the left side, and the text in the lower right corner of the footer - "Smart Websites & Networking, LLC" are set up as links to URLs outside of my website, and neither one works, as you can see.

I have tried a dozen different times, double checking the link settings, and I don't understand why they are not working. I am attaching screen shots of the latest link settings for each one, but they are very basic - I cannot see a problem.

One interesting note about the text link, in the Xara design window the text appears underlined and in my specified link color, but when I export and preview the page - no link. Likewise when I publish to the web, neither link will work - no matter what I've tried.

I have updated my product to the latest release - 7.1.2-18680. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with these links.

Thanks - Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smartwebnet-link-properties.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	85629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nmbar-link-properties.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	85630  

Default Re: External Links Not Working

Hi Spock, 2 possibilities :-

• You are somehow uploading to a different folder
    • You are setting the link on a duplicate object on another (invisible) layer, maybe the MouseOff layer

Do either of these links work when you preview the page after applying the links?

Also, click on each of the objects and look at the Status Line at what layer the objects are inserted on, are they both on the MouseOff layer?

If they are on the Page background layer then this would also explain it. They should be moved to the MouseOff layer.

Yes, you are both correct... I had the links placed on the background layer - not knowing that I needed to check that in the status line, or really how to check that. Seems I did not see any mention of the MouseOff layer when reading about links in the "Help" section, but I may have missed it. Anyway - all is working well now. THANK YOU!