Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Site map and robots.txt files?

I ran a "search engine visibilty" test from GoDaddy on my site. It said I needed (1) a site map. I can't find anything in Xara help on it. What's the best way to go about this? Do I just write my page titles in small print at the bottom of my page and link them to each page?

And (2) it said I had no robots.txt file. What's that all about? Can't find info on that either.

Is it just me, or do others have difficulty finding things using the forum search feature?

Default Re: Site map and robots.txt files?

Hi MJW

From the (F1) help file under "sitemap"

Website URL: Enter the full URL of your published website here if you would like to automatically generate an XML Sitemap, which is a list of the pages on your website, helps search engines find all the pages in your site. When you export your website, a file called Sitemap.xml is also created in the main export folder. If no URL is specified here when you export your website, no sitemap is created.

Note: Because a valid Sitemap must include the full URL of the website, a Sitemap can only be generated if the website URL is available.
    Robots.txt file are handy if you wish to hide files or folders from the search engines

In the Website Properties > Publish tab, you have the option to generate a SiteMap. It's easy. All you have to do is specify your website URL and the site map is automatically generated when you publish your site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site-map.png 
Views:	411 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	85625  

By following Gary's suggestion above it will also generate a robots.txt file with your exported website files.

I added my url in the box you indicate (in web properties). My window differs from the above thumbnail. I don't have "save details in document - save in profile" or "explore web space". (I'm using Designer 7) Does that make a difference?

I republished after adding this. Should I see a site map someone? (I don't). And how do I know if a robots.txt file was also generated?

If the files are produced they will appear in the folder you exported to on your HD

This functionality is only included with Web Designer 7 Premium and Designer Pro 7 . If you are using either Web Designer 7 or Photo & Graphic Desigenr 7 then the website URL field is only there if you want to submit your published website to the User Gallery.

If you are using Go Daddy for hosting and have your purchased the "Search Engine Visibility" feature for your domain, you can prepare the site map and robots.txt file in the Search Engine Visibility part of your hosting features.

Is there a way to have Web Designer create a VIDEO SITEMAP ?? I understand that if you have videos on your site, Google need a specific video sitemap in order to find and index them ...

Is there a way to have Web Designer create a VIDEO SITEMAP ??
    Not a chance. There's no such facility for WD to do this.
    You must create the XML yourself and submit it via your Google Webmaster Tools login.
    See: ► http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=80472

There is VSM Generator software available to help out (Google it), including an ad supported freebie.