Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem slicing image in Designer 6

Suddenly I'm having problems with the Arrange/combine/slice feature.
    When I attempt to slice off a piece of an image, another straight cut occurs somewhere else on the image.
    On the attached sample, I drew a wavy line like the one shown across the right arm of girl in the image and along with the expected slice was the vertical slice through the image. I backed up and started again, and the exact same vertical slice occurred.
    This happens frequently, the unwanted slice is always straight , but sometimes horizontal, and sometimes angled. I'm using Wacom Cintiq tablet.
    I'm having the same problem with my trial 7 version. I've been 'slicing' since Xara was a puppy.
    Bev
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Problem slicing image in Designer 6

I've experienced this behavior, but not in a long time. Xara may be having trouble figuring out what to do with the end of the cut line. Both ends have to be outside the boundaries of the photo. Just now, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem in XDP7.

I don't have XX4 on this machine, so I can't investigate in that version. I do recall having to be careful about how I positioned slicing lines to avoid what you're seeing.

Slicing lines do not need to extend past the lower object bounds. Even when the line is curved. Xara calculates the remaining path. Bev has a hook at the bottom pointing straight up. So there will be a cut in that direction. Remove that 'hook' direction change, and it won't happen.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

That's it!!! Thanks 'Eagle eye' (aka neodeist), I guess I've been getting too fancy with a little flair added to my strokes. I'll settle down and drop the fancy curl.
    Bev

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Yep John has it nailed. When you slice with a line Xara will follow the ends of the line and continue slicing in that direction. This can be a handy feature at times, but also a pain at times if you forget about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

You're right, John, it's the hook.

Easily done :-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64