Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 1st ever website I've designed

Hi all, been meaning to share my website I've designed in wd7. It's only been live 3 weeks. Never touched website design so I'm open to suggestions and feedback.

If anyone can suggest how I can improve it for google then please help. If you type in on google brothertons St annes I'm on page 5 or 6. Am I being inpatient? I've got back links from bose and sonos and a few directories. Really enjoyed designing it but getting stressed with seo a lot of learning to do I'm sure.

Thanks

www.brothertons.tv

Default Re: 1st ever website I've designed

Firstly that is a great effort for your first site. Design wise I would say the following:

• As it is a shop, put the opening times on every page.
    • Some of the internal shop photos seem a bit dark, just brighten them up a bit
    • Make the address and phone number larger to stand out more, perhaps have it in the footer

Give it some time for google. Have you set up google webmaster tools and google analytics. I usually advise my clients that google can take upto 3 months for keywords etc. Look at your page titles get the keywords on there so you have telelevions or plasmas or widescreen tvs etc, for instance instead of 'Brothertons - Bose' as you currently have on your bose page have instead 'Bose dealer Lytham St Annes' if people are looking to buy a tv will not type brothertons, so having it in your page title is not really needed. Try and get one way backlinks, so if you have a link on say the panasonic website, do not link back to them as that will effect your seo. Maybe try some press releases.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Cheers skech,

I appreciate your comments, I'm waiting on some professional photos to be sent to me but I know which ones you mean so will brighten them. I will alter the page titles tomorrow as well, but if I change them will that affect it if someone types in brothertons St annes? My local customers would type in brothertons St annes that's all.

I have got back links from all my 3 major brands and other sites. I've got links to them but your saying I'm best getting shut of them so will do that too.

I've set up webmaster, the guy who hosts my site went through a few bits on there. Like the fetch thing but I've got lots to learn. I probably just to be more patient. I just want it at the top now. Loved the designing part though.

Very nice job Burnley84 for a first time effort. It looks very professional. Here is some info that may help you to optimise your site a bit better http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...analysis/page2 . If you alter the page titles and urls you will still be able to be found if your local customers search for brothertons St Annes. Ensure you submit your site to google, yahoo, bing and alta vista. Most of the other search engines get feeds from these big boys so you dont really need to submit to all the others. I have a list of more than 150, but really you dont need them, just these 4. And then ensure you submit the urls with Fetch as Googlebot, which you will be able to access once you have established a google account.

thanks guys for your comments, and thanks alot abikadabra, alot of useful info there will get my head round it and put some of it into practice, im getting there with it now.

looks good only found one error "Line 183, Column 8: required attribute "type" not specified
    <script>(function(d, s, id) {

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>."

FYI I have errors similar but the code works Grrr

very impressive for a first site - look forward to seeing more stuff from your direction! hope you got well paid for it
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

The site is probably not ranked where you want it because it is a new site and there is a tremendous amount of competition from established sites.

You need to find ways to distinguish your site from the competition. Is there something about the products or service that is unique?

Look at the page source for the highest ranking sites and see if they have keywords and descriptions that might be a better draw.

I looked at your page source and it looks to me like you have done very well. It might be a matter of patience and getting the word out that your client has a new website. Total page views have a part to play in page ranking.