Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO CREATE TEXT THAT LOOKS LIKE DIAMONDS. SORTA LIKE GOLD LETTERS BUT THE FRONT LOOK LIKE RHINESTONES.

Hi Al,

Diamonds are mostly a matter of getting the surface properties correct (and faking the ones that require real-world surroundings). For the most part, diamonds are fairly transparent, but not entirely. You'd have to play around with the settings really. I'd start out with a high level of transparency. I believe diamonds have an index of refraction of 2.41 (it's been a while since I took physics). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The refraction is very important to getting the surface to look correct. One problem though: when we see diamonds in the real world, there are other objects surrounding them that add to their surface properties. You'll need to give the diamond something to refract and reflect. I don't know off hand how high the reflective value of a diamond is, but I'd add some reflectivity. Also, it would be a good idea to add a high level of translucency.

Hmmm...this probably doesn't help much. I'll see if I can get some spare time to create a couple diamonds or so, then try to post my steps, etc.

In 2D you might try dividing the text into facets as a diamond would be, and then using a fill, filling each with different fills of swimming pool water or something. In 3D, I would draw faceted letters and use the glass shaders. I don't know what program you're using, I use CorelDREAM3D 7.

[This message was edited by mom_de_bomb on May 08, 2001 at 03:44 PM.]