Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New web site for review

We have re-written our website with Xara from NetObjects and tried to improve it and make it prettier.
    I look forward to your comments, specifically on appeal, ease of use, page load speed, page size etc. It is not yet live as still tweaking and awaiting commments before finalising.
    Do not use the top nav bar links as they are directed at our current website. The side nav bar (Shop by Category) points to all the local pages.
    Site is at http://www.healthcareltd.co.uk/dani/

Is it possible to take out the <meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.4.1.2.673"/> so does not show when published?

Thanks

Default Re: New web site for review

Nice looking site. Very clean and well designed and good straight ahead site navigation.

I think you could delete the line from the index.html file after the site has been published and replace the index.html file on your web host's server.

But you know, why? To paraphrase a line I read in Playboy Magazine in the 1960s, and which had a slightly different connotation, "It's not the size of the wand that puts the rabbit into the hat, but the skill of the performer!"

If you design a really excellent site and some curious person looks at your page source, he or she might say, wow! That must be a really cool program. Look at it as a bit of exotica.

Looks very nice, I notice the Search box in top right... would be interested in seeing how you get that to work?

Clean navigation, nice colours, good white space, all in all I would use it. Well done.
    To quote Gary -
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If you design a really excellent site and some curious person looks at your page source, he or she might say, wow! That must be a really cool program. Look at it as a bit of exotica.
    Your not the only one who likes the Xara product Gary, but calling it exotica maybe a little far hehehe..

I agree on exotica -- which means naked wimmin

Enough teasing. Great site. Here's a new free resource I found for optimizing a web site -- mostly for download speed. The analysis at the bottom may blow you away. All sorts of things we don't normally think of.

http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso

Also, how many folks here use smush.it? A fine free page for optimizing photos. (a free web too from Yahoo, not a spam.

I find size reduction even on photos optimized by Xara. It's good esopecially for Xara with our index_html_files. Go to the site. "upload" your entire folder. Smushing it is very fast. The you get all the optimized photos as a zip file. I just place the zip file in the folder, extract the files and allow overwrite which replaces everything automatically.

smush.it/ is a url

Smush.it uses optimization techniques specific to image format to remove unnecessary bytes from image files. It is a "lossless" tool, which means it optimizes the images without changing their look or visual quality. After Smush.it runs on a web page it reports how many bytes would be saved by optimizing the page's images and provides a downloadable zip file with the minimized image files.

Quote Originally Posted by MarketingDude View Post
    I agree on exotica -- which means naked wimmin
    lets not mix up 'exotica' with 'erotica'
    Last edited by handrawn; 06 November 2011 at 03:12 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Gary & all.

Thanks for the feedback - I see you all got a bit carried away with the exotica or was it erotica.
    Anyway, the search box should be functional soon
    Cant get http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso to work. I type in the catcha, but cant load the page first attempt. After 2nd attempt and once logged in, states no page to review. Maybe the site is very busy.

Any negative comments also welcome - we only learn from mistakes.
    Thanks

curious why you have used words "shop now" on your buy buttons ? surely "buy" as usual would be better?

Thumbs up Re: New web site for review

Good point.
    However, the shop now button takes you to the product page with different qty purchase options and further product info.

Please advise of any other points as seen by a potential customer, visiting the website for the first time.

I think shop now is ok

'buy now' I would more associate with the link from basket to checkout
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

save site to disk then open pages and edit then upload with FTP client.