Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Will my old Xara X1 files work in latest version if I upgrade?

I'm so excited to recieve my new CD in the post but... I am halfway through a design project, and if I install the new latest version Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 7

1. Will my old Xara X1 (cd version) files work in latest version if I upgrade/install XP/GP7?
    2. and will they be 2 stand alone programs and can switch between the two?
    or overwrite each other>?

At this time I am unable to locate my original cd, which has been in mass storage, so I fear installing just to find out, otherwise I wouldnt have asked this forum, backed up my design project and tried this already.

Thanks in advance))

Default Re: Will my old Xara X1 files work in latest version if I upgrade?

Yes and yes
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

thankyou...you said yes to second question as well, but there were 2 parts to that question is it yes for overwriting my files as well>?

Stand alone :-) Not sure what you mean by overwrite your files. You can open those old files in the new program and save them anew so as to keep the original intact if you want. The new program wont overwrite any files apart from that.
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

the programs all install separately so you will not overwrite X1 when you install XPGD7 or XDP7

note though that if you uninstall one version it may affect another version [this has happened to me only once]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

as far as overwriting files goes - yes if they have the same name, as is normal...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Do you mean .xar files Steve? That's why I said to save anew :-)

yes xar files, user files in general

thing is some registry/system settings will be changed, but by and large this makes little difference - the most obvious one is that the default program to open .xar/.web files will be the last version to be installed, which if it is the latest version is likely what you want of course.... [you know this of course ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thankyou for your replies and answers to my questions, all noted))

Neodeist: Do you mean .xar files...

Yes I was wondering if for .xar files eg; I opened the Xara X1 file in XPGD7 would the file be alterd in anyway, or would I lose the ability to edit that file in the new program, would the some of the ellements not transfer, hope I'm making myself clear. My main question was answered with the overwrite as most programs upgrade the previous versions and remove the older versions when installing. That was my main concern.

So...Now I really want to open and install my new version tonight..(smile))I will do a test file first thanks again

ps To add, I have been using these programs since webster and am hooked, (as well as Painter from v3) I really love simple to use and get the job job in a flash and I dont have to learn thousands of new tools all the time before I finish a job))

by and large you can open any X1 file in XPGD7 without a problem, the other way round of course not so straight forward and best avoided

you will notice a lot of UI [user interface ] changes - particularly in changes to default keystrokes and flyout menus and the 'photofreak'[my words] black look, which you may or may not like [this can be reverted back if you prefer]

some new tools - eg live effects

some new constructs - eg soft grouping

have fun - any questions just ask
    Nothing lasts forever...