Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default decade+ old issue with banding in transparency DP7.1.2

Same issues as this person but in DP 7.1.2 over a decade later. Using TrueColor+Alpha PNG. Geforce 430 if it matters. Visual Quality for window on highest.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...near-gradients

EDIT: screenshot attached

Also the old white border issue is still annoying. If you cut and export from a rectangle with no effect on it there is some transparent border..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	85005  
    Last edited by tjc; 03 November 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Default Re: decade+ old issue with banding in transparency DP7.1.2

been a bit of discussion about this

as I recall the key thing is that in vector the gradient has to be in bands and that in xara the maximum number of bands you can have is 256 [a technical limitation]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    been a bit of discussion about this

as I recall the key thing is that in vector the gradient has to be in bands and that in xara the maximum number of bands you can have is 256 [a technical limitation]
    Yeah it literally ruins work in 99.9% of scenarios though. It looks like a defect or un-diffused low-bit bitmaps. In most cases I can't even fix it in PS CS5 using blur.

yes

Fortunately I can get away with using multiple single graduated transparencies - I rarely use a graduated fill these days - but I can see that not being practical in a whole load of cases....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Very often the appearance of banding is due to the users monitor rather than the video card or how a Xara application functions with linear fills or transparencies.

Viewing the attached image above on all six of my machines there is no noticeable banding.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Technically I think the bands are 255 unique colors.

Banding in bitmap and vector gradients *in print* and somehwat on-screen has been always an issue no matter the software. When we absolutely had to do full-page gradients for a design, we would often export a slightly less tinted version out to PhotoShop and create a couple layers. Each of the top layers had lessening transparency then the one below it and we often would do a light Gaussian blur on those layers.

Also, export out higher res whenever possible. LPI export would be about 2.8 times the screen frequency of the print device.

Another also. You can typically get better results in adding other color points along the gradient and slightly alter the color values at those points. This visually creates an extremely close version to a single-color gradient, but often minimizes the banding, especially in the darker regions.

Take care, Mike

yes it can be a real issue in print [sigh]
    Nothing lasts forever...

One thing to consider when you percieve banding. Are you using incandescent or florescent lights? Florescent lights 'flicker' at the mains frequency, 60Hz here in the US. If your monitor is using a lower frequency you may see banding due to the type of light in the room. Using the highest refresh frequency your monitor can safely support is always the best option.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    One thing to consider when you percieve banding. Are you using incandescent or florescent lights? Florescent lights 'flicker' at the mains frequency, 60Hz here in the US. If your monitor is using a lower frequency you may see banding due to the type of light in the room. Using the highest refresh frequency your monitor can safely support is always the best option.
    Too bad the graphics in most cases will be viewed on more than the creators hardware..

CS5 does a blend perfectly though as does other software.

Another thing exclusive to xara that is just as annoying, is border when trying to make fluid textures. I know most requests here are shunned and ignored, but these two are very significant for all type of users.

Quote Originally Posted by tjc View Post

CS5 does a blend perfectly
    maybe because raster is a lot better at this than vector - and CS5 costs more too

Another thing exclusive to xara that is just as annoying, is border when trying to make fluid textures
    meaning what exactly?

I know most requests here are shunned and ignored
    I doubt that
    Lack of implementation does not mean lack of consideration
    Last edited by handrawn; 05 November 2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...