Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Learning curve and handling a site

I'm not an abject beginner, but close in some ways. I'm putting together a site, and a couple of things puzzle me with navigation, etc.

In designer my website is named Home, page1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. When setting up the links does one pretend being on the web and insert in the link http://www.joespoolhall.com/page1.HTML? Or can you simplify that with an internal name? I'm not assuming anything because it won't be the first time I've made an --- of myself. I figure when I publish it will be to "index" and that all the work done within the site will be encompassed by that file.

Main pages will all be the same size, but I will utilize some secondary satellite pages should I start a different project or just go in after creation and delete the repeating stuff? Thanks for any inpute or Tut pointing; do not want to be too much of a bother.

Default Re: Learning curve and handling a site

hi - I'll just move this to web chat as it's a website issue
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I shoulda' known, sorry 'bout that.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Hi

No, you do need to put in the full URL (http://www.joespoolhall.com/page1.html) just the page filename (page1.html). Are you trying to create a menu by hand or using the built in Navigation Bar creation feature? If not the I can recommend you trying it out it is very easy to create a menu this way. I'm happy to expand on this if it would help!

You don't need to start a new project if the page sizes differ. As you said, just delete the repeating stuff you don't need.

I gathered from your comments the full address is required for success; didn't exactly compute the meaning of "just the page filename (page1.html.") Basically I'm putting together a catalog of 30 or so items for sale. You click the pick to a sales page with more description, pricing and a link to PayPal. The catalog pages will be one size, the sales/product pages will be smaller. If I could figure out how to get enough room for a brief description, price and link to PayPal in a popup window I'd prefer to do that it would be a lot less work. Thank you for your input.

Popups are easy-peasy.

1) Create a new layer for your popup, add the required content (i.e. Product Images, details, paypal link etc.)
    2) On your MouseOff layer create the image/text that will display the above popup when clicked.
    3) Bring up the Link properties for the the above link and select the popup you created in step 1 by selecting it from the 'Pop-up Layer' drop-down.

Now test this and you should find that clicking your link will display the popup as needed.

There are a host of excellent tutorials on this and all aspects of Xara web design created by the community to be found on Xaraxone and YouTube.

Thank you kindly for that excellent info. Will check out the tuts.