Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I want to lift image from photo and then do transparent background.

I want to lift image from photo and then do transparent background.

I am using PSPro photo X2 I used to be able to do this with earler versions of PSP
    but that was over a year ago and I have forgotten. Any help please
    IP

Default Re: I want to lift image from photo and then do transparent background.

Right-click on the image in the Layers Palette>Promote Background layer.
    Select around the subject, invert the selection and Delete the inverted selection.

Or you can use the Background Eraser, which will promote the background layer automatically.
    Keep the Background Eraser smallish, it is more accurate when smaller :-)

Grenou
    IP

Hi Grenou, Is there any knack of selecting the item from the image cleanly. In my case its a dog.
    I use the lasso to go around the object but that leaves a 2mm space where the background shows through.

(Is there a way to use the lasso to make a partial selection then remove your finger from the mouse and then
    continue your selection from where you left off ?)

After I have Deleted the inverted selection I use the Background remover to remove the remaining 2mm of background around the dog.

Again is there a knack to using this tool ?
    I Googled and it said to keep the removal circule half in and half out of the actual image.

Also is ther a correct setting in the menu bar for the BG/removal tool..Im just experimenting.
    my settings at this moment are.
    size 18
    Hardness 100
    Step 10 (no idea what this is for ?)
    Density 100
    Thickness 100
    Rotation 0
    Opacity 100
    Tolarance 75
    Sharpness 100
    Sampling: Continuous
    Limits: Contiguous
    Boxes not ticked. Auto tollerance and Use all Layers.
    Box ticked: Ignore Lightness.

Hope you can help.
    IP

The Circle?
    Ah, you might want to change the way the tool behaves, which will make it easier to use:
    File>Preferences>General Program Preferences>Display & Caching> un-tick 'Use precise cursors'
    and Tick 'Show brush outlines'

I use the Selection Tool this way:

Set the Selection Tool (the lassoo) to Edge Seeker,
    Mode: Add.
    Feather 0
    Range 0
    Smoothing 0
    Anti Alias + Use All Layers NOT ticked.

Hold the Alt key when you are going around a selection, this will make the Edge Seeker behave like the Freehand tool.
    You can draw or click.
    As long as you are depressing the Alt key you can let go of the mouse if you want to re-position your hand :-)
    Just keep that Alt key active!
    If you think you have made a mistake, you can Delete some of the selection by letting go of the Alt Key, then hit the Delete Key a few times to 'erase' some of the selection.
    You need to hit it a lot more than you think, but the selection line will get shorter.
    When you're happy with that, you press the Alt Key again and carry on.

If you had a 2mm (don't know how many pixels that is, but it sounds a lot!) you might have set a Feather setting you weren't aware of.
    Use the above setting, it works a treat.

Hope this helps.

The Background Eraser is best used with the image big, ie zoom into it and keep the tool smallish, the centre of the tool just on the outside edge of the subject you are erasing around.
    The default settings work fine.
    If something goes wrong and you remove more than you wanted, you can go back and un-erase by using the right mouse button.

Grenou
    IP

Thanks Grenou
    I will try out your suggestions tomorrow, its late here now.
    IP