Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default New feature idea - Seamless tile generator

I came across this while looking for something else on the net and thought this maybe a feature worth adding. Image Styles

A seamless tile generator that does a really good job and they have a developers library that can be integrated into other software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Guest Guest

Default Re: New feature idea - Seamless tile generator

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I came across this while looking for something else on the net and thought this maybe a feature worth adding. Image Styles

A seamless tile generator that does a really good job and they have a developers library that can be integrated into other software.
    Allthough my title sounds different, that's exactly what I proposed here

Way to go, Frances

I looked at the separate seamless tile generator, Seamless Factory, and this suite of programs looks like the "find of the month" if you ask me!

I have a Redfield seamless tile "workshop" type plug-in, but it is very counter-intuitive and the results are less than phenomenal....much less.

I only played for a few moments (yet) in the program you shared, but can already see that it is super-useful.

Especially for 3D work it is important to have seamless resources. Getting close in (camera-wise) to mapped image objects will show whether one started with a hi-res or low-res image. Having a seamless tile, in the general case, will make it so that you can have the appropriate resolution.

Again, Frances, great find!

THANKS

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 29 October 2011 at 09:59 AM.

I use Pattern Studio at http://www.mediachance.com/patternstudio/index.html and it works very well.

Hello ZEBtoonz,

That looks like a cool program. It appears that it makes Normal maps, as well.

Thanks for the info!

James

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I still think that it would be cool if xara had this built right in, and you could simply access it from the right click menu or some thing like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I've always used Xara to create seamless tiles, I even did a mini tut on it somewhere on here if anybody cares to dig it up. It's so simple, you really don't need a plug-in.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

have to agree with Frank

in the same way as why would you need a shape editor tool if you could actually draw...
    Last edited by handrawn; 30 October 2011 at 05:06 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    I've always used Xara to create seamless tiles, I even did a mini tut on it somewhere on here if anybody cares to dig it up. It's so simple, you really don't need a plug-in.
    Just try the proposed Software out (either Seamless Factory or Pattern Studio) and you'll figure right away what's the advantage of having Wysiwyg-Seamless Creation!

Both products seem abandonware though, no Updates for several years, Patternstudio even doesn't work correctly on Win7 64 (Support-Staff doesn't answer).
    Therefore I really appreciated a nice (vector-based) Xara interpretation. It should be darn easy to add - one basically needs a script to create identical instances (which have minimal Memory Footprint).
    To make the output any useful for Deformation in 3D-Packages one however needed to be able to export Vectors as 16 Bit Greyscale Images. Again something which should be easy but would open up a new field of use for Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    Both products seem abandonware though, no Updates for several years
    and that says something.. no?

oh and xara does not do scripts, xara is on record as saying 'don't hold your breath scripts are not going to happen any time soon' because due to the way xara is coded scripts are not easy to do
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...