Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I finally downloaded the R8.5 demo and tried it tonight. It's a pity that it's not a full demo where it will let you save anything for so many days. Anyway, I loaded the barstool scene and adjusted the render to use radiosity but found it was way too bright and had to turn off all my lights and turn the brightness on the radiosity control way down too but then I let it go for a while and it came out really nice. I had to go and compare it to the output from CE 6 and now I want 8.5 even more. :P Look at the blue base, it looks so wonderful in 8.5 compared to CE 6. Same texture between the two. gidgit, I could not find any info on version 9 so I think I'm going to get the academic version of 8.5 instead of wait unless there is info that you can point me to as to when 9 might be coming out.

-T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c4d_barstool_ce6_vs_r85_800pxW_JC18.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	13798  

I finally downloaded the R8.5 demo and tried it tonight. It's a pity that it's not a full demo where it will let you save anything for so many days. Anyway, I loaded the barstool scene and adjusted the render to use radiosity but found it was way too bright and had to turn off all my lights and turn the brightness on the radiosity control way down too but then I let it go for a while and it came out really nice. I had to go and compare it to the output from CE 6 and now I want 8.5 even more. :P Look at the blue base, it looks so wonderful in 8.5 compared to CE 6. Same texture between the two. gidgit, I could not find any info on version 9 so I think I'm going to get the academic version of 8.5 instead of wait unless there is info that you can point me to as to when 9 might be coming out.

-T

Hey there T, your gonna want to get the C4D advanced render module if you want radiosity and caustics.

Hi Mike,

I think it will have that.

Here's what comes with the R8.5 XL bundle:
    "Modules included in this bundle are Advanced Render, MOCCA, Thinking Particles, PyroCluster and Net Render."

The *Studio bundle* comes with Dynamics and Body Paint R2 but is $900 (academic) and there is a warning that it is NOT upgradable. The R8.5 XL bundle that I quoted above is close to $300 (academic) and there was no warning about it not being upgradable. I gave my phone number to Maxon yesterday when I downloaded the R8.5 demo and someone from Maxon called me today! I asked how much it would cost to upgrade if I ended up doing freelance work sometime in the future with C4D and I wanted to upgrade to a commercial license and she said $900.00. Not too bad a deal I think. Body Paint looks cool but I just can't afford it now.

Thanks for pointing that out about the advanced render module. I still can't get over how that blue block looks...

-T

XL Bundle does have the Advance Render. You will love the v8.5. The SLA Shaders are great and allow you to create much more indepth textures.

V9 my guess will be around Nov.-Dec. with an announcement made at Siggraph in August. I have no info, no insight, just a guess. So please do not use this info for your decision.

Hi Teknal,

I think you will really like the v8.5, as you mentioned the difference in the blue block is tremendous.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Wow... quite the difference indeed... and wow, what a terrific bar stool... very nice

I would agree with Randy in that it won't be until sometime after Siggraph for sure... my guess is sometime in Oct, early Nov at the latest... Maxon will not wish to miss out in the holiday rush me thinx

Go Teknal go... you are doing great with this 3d stuff

The deed is done, I ordered it a little earlier today. Now the school has to verify me to the store that I'm a student then it's all in UPS's hands...or make that truck(s). Picked the free ground shipping.

Thanks Randy & gidgit, I've never dealt with Maxon so I don't have a feel for how they release software. I did find some discussion about NDA's and such around the web regarding version 9.

gidgit, thanks, but I can't take full credit for the barstool , it's done from Randy's class instruction but I did put the lights, walls, floor & sky there and texture everything myself. I've owned Rhino3d v2 for almost 2 years now and could not get into it and so didn't upgrade to v3. Then this class came around and was the right combo of instruction and software so things are finally clicking in my mind on working with 3d models. I pulled up Rhino and could actually do a couple of things with it now. Was the same way with SQL, I tried learning it twice before with failure but then I came across a "10 minute" guide to SQL at the bookstore and it was the right timing to have found this book, the lessons were easy to understand and now I use SQL frequently.

-T