Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Photo Working with RAW files

Hi,

This is more of a query than a problem. I am using Xara Web Designer 7 and I wondered what would happen if I dragged an image straight from my camera (Pentax K-x) onto a web page.

The image was a RAW file which can have file extensions of either .dng or .pef and in this case was a .dng file 10Mb in size. I dragged it onto the web page and expected the warning box to appear telling me this was a large file and do I want to optimise it, etc. It didn't appear and no it has not been disabled. After a second or two the image appeared on the web page and obviously at a huge size of 4309 x 2868. The Bitmap Gallery agrees with the size but says it is now 35 Mb !

After resizing it to 600 x 400 I then previewed it in I.E.9 and looked at it's properties which said it was now 372082 bytes (363 kilobytes) and was now a .png file

The same thing happened when I used a .pef file

What surprised me was, when zooming in at 400% in I.E. the image was as good as the picture in the camera, no loss of pixels or anything which is something I have been trying to achieve in Photoshop with cropping, resizing and un-sharpen mask.

My queries-
    Is this an acceptable way of placing images on to a web page?
    Does WD7 convert to a .dng file as soon as it is placed on a web page?
    Is the image property correct in I.E.?
    Why does the Bitmap Gallery say it is 35MB?
    Why is the image so good when viewed in preview?

I hope replies for all these are not too much to ask.

Default Re: Working with RAW files

the bitmap gallery is telling you the uncompressed size - the amount of memory that is being used for it - 10MB is the size on disk
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for that bit of info but would still like to know answers to the rest of queries, especially if dragging raw files in is acceptable.

well yes and if I knew the answers I would have given them - but I don't use web designer, or RAW files for that matter

someone else will sort the rest out hopefully..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Xara will as you have discovered open many Raw file formats and yes you will get the huge hi res image that your camera produced. The one drawback that I can see would be loading times for your site. It would probably take a few mins for someone with a slower connection to load your site with such large images, especially if you have many of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.