Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Favicon

Default Favicon

Hi I wonder if you can help me please, how do you insert a Favicon (icon) in your header so that it shows just before your URL in your website? cheers Derek

Default Re: Favicon

>> From Help menu if you have Designer Pro, I think it's the same in Web Designer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	favicon.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	84645
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

The above is the Xara method to use if you don't already have a favicon and is a great way of quickly and easily generating one (Xara puts the favicon into your assets folder, called "index_htm_files" if your home page is called "index.htm").

However, if you already have a favicon image (in "ico" format), all you need to do is put it in the web root of your website (i.e. the top directory, which is usually "public_html", "htdocs" or "httpdocs") and the browser will automatically display it without you adding anything to the page code. If you have problems displaying it, clear your browser cache and try again.

If you want to have different favicons for different directories just upload your favicons (they can be called anything) into the relevant directory and then reference them in your page headers, e.g.

Code:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.mydomain.com/favicons/favicon4.ico">
    Speaking of favicons, the TG icon is still the old logo. Isn't it time we had the new one?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

And if you ever desire to change the favicon to another one, use the code above. Most modern browsers relentlessly cache the favicon and one may not see the changed one very soon following a change. Of course, clearing the local and site cache will force most people's browsers to refresh the favicon.

Take care, Mike

Hi Neo, Beret and Mike, thank you for your replies and help. Beretgascon, thank you for your code it's different to the one I use and thats proberbly why it does'nt work in Web Design Premium? I put in into the Utilities>Web Properties>HTML Code(Head), I'll use your code and put it into the head of the HTML files. Also I'd just like to say I came across Xara Web Design last month and I think it is the best Web Design software I've come across, it just lets you put everthing together and then you just upload using ftp (WOW). Neo, I'll have to practice on the help solution thank you, Mike noted Thank you. :-) I'll be poping in to TalkGraphics again, cheers Derek

Welcome to TalkGraphics

In any of the modern (latest versions) just save an icon called favicon and the browser automatically knows what it is for, you do not need the code at all, I discovered this by accident.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Ok I’ve done most of the above, my problem is:
    My hosting is NTL World, (free web space) with my account.
    Therefore my web address is:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/my name/index.htm
    the favicon works fine with this.

My domain name bought through NetBenefit is:
    www.my domain name.com

using NetBenefit control panel I use “url masking” so user’s
    see my domain name instead of the “homepage.ntlworld”
    the favicon then no longer works.
    Any ideas to what I’m doing wrong?