Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Logo to appear on indexing tab

Hi Guys,

I have searched the forum for some time, but cannot seem to locate what I am looking for. I suspect that I am not using the correct terminology.

I use Chrome for viewing web pages. When I view this forum, in the page tab there is a small red and white "tg" logo next to the page title. How can I do this on my website. I have my pages titled as i want them to show in tabs, but there is just a generic 'world' logo showing and I would like to change this.

Any tips, or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Mike.

Default Re: Logo to appear on indexing tab

Favicon ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	favicon.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	84512
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks for that neodist - so that is the term! I would never have guessed it in years.

Now I know what I'm looking for....

I know the favicon is supported in Pro 7, how can it be done in 6? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by porky996t View Post
    ...so that is the term! I would never have guessed it in years...
    Not the most intuitive term ever is it? I assume it refers to when the image could only be seen in IE after a site was added to Favourites. Could be wrong tho. It has been known
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Didn't take adding a site to the favorites, but it did first come to being a supported "image" with IE4 and the other browsers soon supported it.

Take care, Mike

I assumed cos of the "fav" :-)

FWIW ... and cos I'm bored ...

In March 1999, Microsoft released Internet Explorer 5 which supported favicons for the first time. Originally, the favicon was a file called favicon.ico placed in the root directory of a web site. It was used in Internet Explorer's favorites (bookmarks) and next to the URL in the address bar if the page was bookmarked. A side effect was that the number of visitors who have bookmarked the page could be estimated by the requests of the favicon. This technique has become obsolete since all modern browsers support the favicon without bookmarking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Yeah, yeah. That is about the shortcut icon that would actually display in the favorites section and the browser's title bar. But, favicons that displayed as part of a site--only displaying in the titlebar of IE--showed up in IE4. It took a bit of digging and I had thought I was loosing what little mind I have left...

"Internet Explorer 4 came with Active Desktop, Windows Desktop Update, Channels, Frontpage Express, Netmeeting, NetShow, Web Publishing Wizard, Microsoft Chat 2.0 and Progressive Networks Real Player.[2][11] Outlook Express 4 replaced Internet Mail and News.[2]

Other new features including Dynamic HTML, inline PNG, Favicons,..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_4

Take care, Mike