Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Xara plus 3D Challenge

I thought this might be a fun idea. This is a challenge to all the 3D enthusiasts I have prepared a .xar file that contains 3 things a seamless tile, a curvy line and a blobby shape. Using what ever 3D program you like and these 3 things create your 3D masterpiece and post your render in this thread The seamless tile in the Xar file is a clipped vector version so you can export it in whatever format you like.

Have fun, I look forward to seeing what can be done with what I have provided! I will take a turn in a day or so.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Xara plus 3D Challenge

Kind of a balloon ?

Guy -

I love these tools

Cool! and animated too! That's great! thanks for participating Guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Here's my attempt.

What, more vases?

Well, you did the line!

I changed the coloring of your texture swatch to the blue-green color of the vases.

There is a neat trick for the right hand vase, in that there is an added Texture channel, which has Cloud texture set small (0.11, I think). Then, Color is unticked and Normal is selected (and set to taste). Bump quality is maxed.

It gives the ceramicish vase a small, mottled quality to its surface that I think looks cool. (also, what it does to the specular areas makes it more interesting)

Additionally, since the Bump texture is different from the mapped image texture, the mottling does not appear related to the painterly surface. It would look more fakish if it did. They both look like they would feel quite different in the hand...

Cool idea, Frances. Like Larry's Scribble challenge, it's interesting to have some constraint (the supplied graphics), but to be free to come up with whatever comes to mind with it. They tend to be very varied.

By the way, since Blender (with the right setting) saves the assets in the Blendfile... at some point we could also do one of those "add something, pass it on" experiments.

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 04 October 2011 at 04:09 PM.

That's really cool James. Thanks for participating. and a lesson too! I hope we will see more attempts at this challenge The only software constraint is that you need Xara to open the assets that I have provided
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One more... not so interesting...but I did use all the parts from the challenge!

James

Modeled in Hexagon, textured and rendered in Vue Esprit 8.
    Almost all my models or parts of them start with profiles drawn in Xara. Most 3D editors provide for drawing these but can't even come close to the ease that they can be drawn in Xara. Especially more complex shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	84493  

Great work James and Jerr. I really like the creative ways that everyone is using the provided assets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't really do much of this but thought I would have a go.
    Looking at some of the other posts, it hardly seems worthwhile.
    But, I had a go so I'll post it.

Used Adobe Illustrator - a programme I just cannot get on with!
    Probably why I use Xara all the time, but you've got to admit that the 3D Revolve tool in Illustrator is very good.

Jerr: That's a beautiful image.

James: I didn't notice the shapes falling out of the jug. Brilliant. Just brilliant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	84529  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

That looks good Rik. Does the 3D revolve in Illy work like spinning in Blender? And by the way Rik, how did you ever make out with Blender? I recall you saying you were going to give it a try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]