Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: CMS, blog and shopping cart integration

The tweaksets of Xara allows perfectly for changing CMS content length, the placeholders do perfectly for putting the CMS parts into a template designed with Xara. As with for example freewebshop.

Maybe some of the folks asking for a CMS forget that those CMS and shopping cart scripts are based on PHP, which as far as I know would blow the preview in Xara Web Designer.

Maybe wrong idea, maybe very off topic but IMHO Xara would be enhanced a lot if instead of applying PHP based solutions, support for PHP would be added. That would integrate debugging and running scripts into the product. There are enough solutions for PHP support. After that, all options for CMS, webshop, blog and etc. support would be logical next step.

Default Re: CMS, blog and shopping cart integration

I have to agree that the ability to dynamically add content into the Xara design is crucial for serious website designers. I love what Xara has already brought to the table. But the ability to make good looking websites in platforms like Word Press may eventually put Xara in its grave. I know I've been tempted to leave Xara behind and may have never built any websites using it if I knew how WP and other platforms were going to turn out. All the same I really still like Xara and have managed to get dynamic content (shopping carts, photo galleries with search) into it but the amount of hacking involved is labors to say the least. I'm so glad that we have the dynamic page tweak, but I also realize that it is not ideal. I've also gotten dynamic Facebook widgets into Xara, but have to cut them off or make the page extra long in anticipation that content may be added after page load.

At the very least can't Xara add an optional footer and 2nd body area that is in a separate <div> from the header and regular (fixed) body that Xara uses now. It could float at the bottom (maybe even an option to float to the right or left of the normal (fixed) body) of the regular body <div>) This would allow dynamic content to be added to it after the initial page load as well as on page load.

Put a separate <div> tag at the bottom of the <body> with content that floats under the normal Xara absolute/fixed content? That way you could at least put dynamic content at the bottom of the webpage. (maybe even an option to float to the right or left of the normal (fixed) body content) Basically you would just draw a box and that box could be the background color for your content and then use it as a placeholder for your php or what ever you are creating dynamically. That box is fixed left to right but floats up to the last regualr <div> tag. Then draw a box that would be a separate <div> and put your footer in that and it would float under your dynamic content box. That way it would move down when your php in generated or widget changes or comments added or what ever.

That's my two cents.