Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy XDProX (Trial) Slow Startup Time

Starting up (with no unsaved files to open) takes about 40 seconds to get to the Flash Screen and then Continue Trial dialog. Then, after clicking Continue for the trial, it takes about another 45 seconds to finish loading.

Is the program trying to "phone home" to Magix via the internet and possibly timing out due to our corporate firewall rules, or is there something else going on???

My system runs just fine otherwise. No other slow load time for other apps and apart from some bugs which I've reported, XDProX runs fine once loaded.

Default Re: XDProX (Trial) Slow Startup Time

the trial will want to connect to the internet/magix [I assume it does this to check if you are registered for extended trial and if it is [still] valid ]

so yes that is the first place I would look

normally the startup is quick
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 May 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Clicking on the icon and on through the Trial dialog and being able to close the start up document, start to finish takes 8 seconds here on a relatively modest laptop.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    the trial will want to connect to the internet/magix [I assume it does this to check if you are registered for extended trial and if it is [still] valid ]
    If so, this load lag would be bad PR for those evaluating in a corporate environment.

For reference, my registered XDPro7 opens in under 10 seconds, including opening several files from a previous session.

I recall getting error messages when I first installed the trial, before I let it through the [eset] firewall which I never do with a new program straight away if it can at all be avoided - actually it was happier with the internet connection disabled

no problems once it was allowed full access though - seconds as you say....

[they were windows 'this program has stopped working messages' - except it did once you had closed them, four in a row]

EDIT: and the firewall reported the access attempts as to magix [though details I did not note]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Corporate users don't have access to the firewall settings and less than savvy users would not understand the source of the lag. In any event, Magix may want to find a method of communicating which is less likely to use blocked ports/protocols.

I'd say if this was a general experience then not helpful, no

personally I put it down to a glitch in my case and didn't really think much more about it - in theory if the firewall blocks access the program should consider the internet not available and move straight on I would have thought
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 May 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: wayward comma
    Nothing lasts forever...

New to Web Designer MX and Designer Pro X are the fully server linked Design Galleries which if left docked and open (as I do) will check on load.

However, on my W7 Pro 64bit machine, AMD6000+ with 4Gb ram DPX takes 5 seconds from clicking the desktop icon to 'ready'

thanks for that - wouldn't have been so in my case though, unless that gallery is open by default on install ?

I didnt make any notes, but I checked back to see if I made a screen shot [tends to be a reflex action] and yes I did - see attached, note there were four of the 'program has stopped working' messages on top of each other

I just clicked on the top right x's to cancel the dialogs

system is win7 home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	messages.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	89674  
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    Starting up (with no unsaved files to open) takes about 40 seconds to get to the Flash Screen and then Continue Trial dialog. Then, after clicking Continue for the trial, it takes about another 45 seconds to finish loading.
    Long startup time (in excess of 2 minutes) also exhibited in registered version. Support ticket has been submitted.