Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default brochure in xara

I wanted to ask if anyone done a brochure in xara, it can be up to 24 or 40 pages with ads and 300 dpi pictures. Is something like this even possible or better off resource to adobe indesign?
    Last edited by behzad; 30 September 2011 at 08:41 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: brochure in xara

I've done newsletters and much smaller brochures using Xara for everything from ad layouts to designing the brochure/newsletter its self. For that many pages with 300dpi pictures I'm not sure a) how Xara would handle it and b) how large a file you would have at the end. I have done up to 8 pages 8.5 x11 newsletter heavy to ads laid out as double page spreads The ads are all created in Xara and to eliminate the need to embed a large number of fonts are exported as 300dpi pngs which are then added to the newsletter. I haveno problems with that. One thing I do however after importing the pngs to the main document is to add a touch of sharpening to them, this may not be necessary depending on how you are having your brochure printed. I have my newsletter printed on an offset printing press.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I wouldn't, not if there are 40 A4 pages all with 300dpi images - I 've done two cartoon books each with around 40/50 A5 sized 300 dpi images and that was pushing ver 4 as far as it wanted to go, plus the xar files are over 300MB [three hundred megabytes] each

I don't see later versions being any better in this respect...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I guess i can break it up to pages and files, then export them all in pdf and append all pdf's to one in acrobat. But I may be better off getting someone to do it all in indesign. The brochure is 8.5x11

Thank you both for your input, i hope one day this will change, i always wanted xara to append images outside of the file, so that it places a low res image on the page but when exported to pdf, it grabs the original size from the hard drive.

I think for that large a project, I would definitely go with InDesign. InDesign is set up for large documents like that. Xara really is not optimized for that kind of large project. I'm sure the folks at Xara would argue, but I would use InDesign.

Thank you, really appreciate it.

I have used this program many times http://www.pdfill.com/ It works very well, even with 100+ pages. It is lacking on the graphics side do, but you can create graphics with Xara then import them. You can also merge pages that were made in Xara. Best of all its less than $20

Good tip James.

Using Xara for a large brouchure can make the programme run slugishly. Another DTP programme that you might consider would be Serif's PagePlus bar the obvious InDesign. They also have a free version which can export to PDF at it can be found at the following link: http://www.serif.com/desktop-publish...mc=FSSPAGEPLUS
    Design is thinking made visual.