Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Struggled through a tutorial

I've made my way through Neal Hirsig's tutorial, modeling the first steam locomotive - the Rocket. It took quite a while -the tutorial is a 300-page pdf- but this is the result. I dare say that I know the basics of modeling now, or at least this way of modeling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocket.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	84353
    Guy -

I love these tools

Default Re: Struggled through a tutorial

sorry - which 3D program? - great result
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Blender - sorry Steve, should have mentioned it.
    Guy -

I love these tools

sort of guessed it might be - very well done - now for the render
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Wow! great work guy! I'm still working on simple models I can't wait to see it rendered with materials and textures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hello Guy,

Very special job! It looks great!

You hadn't posted much recently and now we see why... you were woodshedding!

Does Neal's tutorial go through the means of texturizing it?

Just like building an immaculate airplane model, I know this took much patience and attention to detail to get right.

Wow

James

Total congratulations, actually to both of you. Frances and you are amazing me with your progress. I first downloaded blender about 8 or 10 years ago but never got the hang of it. This time I am trying and I found that the best site to learn from is the one your on. After getting lost on all the other tutorials on different sites, I finally decided to go with this one, and I decided to start with the first tutorial and I am glad that I made this decision. I am doing the yellow sub.....ugly, isn't it........but I believe it is the first so that is where I will start. Over a couple of days I got as far as the propeller but something went wrong with the program, the property menu was only half there and I could not drag to create another window. This was over several days and several reboots, and opening a new blender file was okay, so I gather I must have done something wrong somewhere during the tutorial, probably before the first save, and last night deleted all the work I have done to date. The discouraging news was that it took me a couple of days to get there, a bit here, a bit there.....I bore quickly, don't you know........but the good news is I can get to about the same stage in probably half an hour instead of days. At this stage of the game I probably know about .0005 % of the program but I am learning to crawl, hopefully some day I will be able to walk but we all must forget about me learning to run, that will never happen. Anyway, probably tonight I will start doing the tutorial again while keeping an eye on the property menu so that it doesn't happen again.

I used to open Xara all the time and just used to doddle in it, drawing balloons, etc., just no brainer things to relax and amuse myself, but now xara is on a back burner while I play with blender, probably just the challance of learning something new. At this point it amuses me but I don't know how long that will last, extreamly short attention span.

Anyway, I am happy to see how you and Frances have progressed in such a short period of time. Actually Frances is really amazing, at this stage of the game I have actually no idea how she was able to create her bowl of fruit but hopefully that will change soon once I understand a bit more of the program
    .............frank

Just a remark on the tutorials, Frank.

They are made for a previous version of Blender, so once in a while the shortcuts have changed in Blender 2.5
    What I struggle most with is the fact that the cursor has to be inside the 3D-view window when you execute a command. So every now and then, Blender doesn't seem to respond, but that's just because you're cursor is outside that window...
    Anyway, I wish you luck with your effort - welcome to the club of Blender students !
    Guy -

I love these tools

"What I struggle most with is the fact that the cursor has to be inside the 3D-view window when you execute a command. So every now and then, Blender doesn't seem to respond, but that's just because you're cursor is outside that window...

Yes, annoying, isn't it. Here is another one that annoys me. I am reading the tutorial and then click on the pdf file to accomplish my next step in blender. With his screen shots I keep forgetting which program is open. The good news is that step by step, I am getting more familiar with the program, and the yellow sub tutorial, while ugly, seems to be a good starting point. and it does seem to follow the program pretty well. My problem was a bug or a misstep on my part, who knows.

I wanted to print out the pdf file but it's 140 pages, he seems to use only a quarter or half a page, one step per page. I tried to print 4 pages per sheet but it seemed that it was not printing in any order. Must try again but not now, other things to do
    .............frank

I'm lucky to have 2 monitors, so I open the pdf twice on monitor 2, whilst having Blender on monitor 1... btw the train pdf is 300+ pages...
    Guy -

I love these tools