James

Default Re: Struggled through a tutorial

Next tutorial - a candle - trying to post an animated gif of it

http://www.guybuytaert.net/gif/Candle.gif

Guy -

I love these tools

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very nice Guy! where did you find these tutorials? I'd like to try that candle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks, you'll find it (and others, like the train I made) in : http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html
    these are pdfs so it's easier for me than the video stuff

you can also get there thru Blender.org => education and help => tutorials => Blender Beginners Course
    Last edited by guyke; 02 October 2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Guy -

I love these tools

"pdfs so it's easier for me"

Yup, boy do I hear you and agree also. I also tried doing the candel but finally stopped since it was a bit too advanced and went to the yellow sub. And to tell the truth, this is on standby while I read his pdf tutorials which you get by clicking on his web site. Last night I learned the difference between the object and edit window. The edit window is for editing.....duh, even I figured that one out, but I just stayed in it all the time, even when adding new objects. No, no, bad. If you add a new object, circle, tube, whatever while in the edit window, it is joined to what ever work is already there. I had the sub drawn and named, added a tube for the periscope and named it, then I added a plane to create the rudder and gave it the name, and then added a tube to create the propeller and also gave it a name, all in the edit window. Unfortunately, they were joined to the sub and everytime I named them I over wrote the existing name, so instead of 4 objects, I only had one. So, now I must start the tutorial over again for the umpteen time.

By the way, his video tutorials are also pretty good. He goes very slowly and repeats like he's talking to a 3 year old, which works out pretty good for myself, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, if you get my drift. I went to about 4 or 5 different sites looking for tutorials but I find this site the best for beginners. Frances also mentioned a site where I watched the tutorial on the interface and it drove me completely bonkos. They guy may know what he is talking about but he has the absolute worse taste in music and there was no way to shut it off. God, it drove me crazy.

Anybody looking to learn, stick to the site Guy has mentioned, I give it the full 5 stars
    .............frank

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I also learned the hard way about adding things in the edit window, so don't feel bad!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Was the Rocket that is talked about ever posted? Or, was that tongue in cheek about the train?
    Tom - Hwy101

Quote Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post
    Was the Rocket that is talked about ever posted? Or, was that tongue in cheek about the train?
    The train is the only Rocket mentioned on this thread..