Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many pages

Default How many pages

Hello I am using Web Designer 6 and I would like to know how many pages that I can have in my web site? thanks

Default Re: How many pages

Depends on what you put on the pages, I would think.

As many as you want but speed and memory in xara depends on the document size the larger it gets the slower it becomes and could grind to a halt when you are working on it so if you see in the future your site being say 40 + pages then i would follow this route here

scruffy

Hi Scruffy
    I would like to thank you very kindly for for the valuable information. I don't understand it quite yet but I will give it some study. I have designed a series of 2000personalized coat rack patterns to be cut on a scroll saw and I want to sell them on my site. I once had my sit up with over 500 pages and it was slow. My goal is about 3000 pages give or take. Thanks again AlanChism
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think 3000 pages will be a record for the software. I think that Xara may have problems. You should seriously consider how you would manage a site of 3000 pages and whether Xara is the best way to do it.

Thanks for the reply. FYI I am in to setting records. AC

People have run into problems with a very few hundreds of pages, or even less. It partly depends on content. When talking about thousands of pages I'd hate you to get to a couple of hundred pages, put in a lot of effort and run into difficullties without a plan B. I'd really suggest looking at CMS based solutions as an alternative.

I am going to try using WD6 because nothing beats the try but the failure AC

I'm sure glad I read this, but what I want to know is what is a CMS solution? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGilbert View Post
    I'm sure glad I read this, but what I want to know is what is a CMS solution? Thanks.
    CMS - Content Management System - loads of info on Google.

Basically, it's a web based system (ie web pages) that are populated from a database when the page is requested. Many people use very simple CMS systems in conjunction with Xara (the CMS replaces parts of the web page via a placeholder). For a 3000 page site I'd be looking at a more sophisticated solution with a CMS that uses HTML to display the content, usually via HTML templates. Wordpress, Joomla, etc are examples of popular content management systems.

For a "small" site a CMS isn't really required, but for a 3000 page site it's a good option. I really wonder how Xara will behave with anything like 3000 pages. Normally when I am trying something out, I often build a "test" version. I would suggest making a test site with hundreds/thousands of pages in Xara before building it for real, but I have no idea if it's even possible to get XWD to replicate a page thousands of times.