Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default SEO tip sheet needed

I searched the forum for SEO-related subjects, but saw nothing. Since WD is so graphics oriented, it would be great to have some separate list of steps so we can help search engines find and analyze the sites. For example, I found out that uploaded image file names, even if descriptive (ie. "Mt. Rushmore photo") get converted to a raw number in the code. That means that unless there is some added code by us, Google won't see it. In fact it's hard to find even myself since it's only a number.

I'm not a programmer, but it seems that the same is true of text, when a unique font or manipulation converts it into a graphic. The text can't be seen by Google since it's now just a number. My understanding also is that search engines skip over javascript and css, but I'm not sure.

Since WD has manual ways to add alt text, titles, html text code, etc., I think it would be useful to have a separate list of SEO suggestions of how we can overcome some of this. It would be nice if the code could also do more of this automatically, such as titling or alt-texting button names, photo names, or graphic text.

Default Re: SEO tip sheet needed

For example, I found out that uploaded image file names, even if descriptive (ie. "Mt. Rushmore photo") get converted to a raw number in the code. That means that unless there is some added code by us, Google won't see it. In fact it's hard to find even myself since it's only a number.
    You can give an image a unique name by using the yellow tag icon and give the selected image a name eg. filename="Mt._Rushmore_photo "

I'm not a programmer, but it seems that the same is true of text, when a unique font or manipulation converts it into a graphic. The text can't be seen by Google since it's now just a number.
    In the same way give the selected text the name HTMLBlockText the text will be exported as text but it will depend on whether the site user has that font installed or not, if not it will likely show as Arial.

My understanding also is that search engines skip over javascript and css, but I'm not sure.
    All the main search engines like Google can read javascript and flash.

Since WD has manual ways to add alt text, titles, html text code, etc., I think it would be useful to have a separate list of SEO suggestions of how we can overcome some of this. It would be nice if the code could also do more of this automatically, such as titling or alt-texting button names, photo names, or graphic text.
    I agree it would be easier if when you import an image the dialog opens to give the image an alt text or title, retaining the imported name as the title and file name until you change it.

it seems that the same is true of text, when a unique font or manipulation converts it into a graphic
    Use the name htmltext on the text object if grouping.

"HTMLBlockText" - if this name is applied to the text object, the text is exported without placing every line in a separate span element see Undocumented and advanced features

Use the name htmltext on the text object if grouping.

"HTMLBlockText" - if this name is applied to the text object, the text is exported without placing every line in a separate span element see Undocumented and advanced features
    Sorry my mistake, thanks for the correction

Easily done

Page titles are important.

H1 - H6 tags are not. Just use larger and bold.