Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to Make Ordinary Objects Give Off Light

In Blender, it's very easy to make objects give off their own light. Picture the little glowing footlights along a corridor in a spaceship. They not only need to look like lights, but being lights, they also need to cast that light onto close objects in order to really simulate the effect.

There are mainly two things that are necessary to make objects give off light. The first is that the light-producing object's illuminating faces must have an Emit value (in Materials) greater than 0. The values go from 0 to 2. The second thing that is necessary is that Indirect Lighting has to be turned on in the Scene tab. (In order to use Indirect Lighting, you have to change the Gather method from Raytraced to Approximate.) Once this is done, then any objects' faces with an Emit value will give off some light. Enough of it and it will show on the other close objects in the scene.

Below is an example of what I mean. Notice how the alternating Blue/Red rectangles cause a colorcast to the ground surface. On the right object inside the torus, it has no coloring (white) and so it's surface picks up the colors of the close lights. You can see that it is at once, both blue in part and red in part, but remains white on the parts where the lit faces can't reach. At extreme values, the objects can actually give off a lot of light. (sphere with white bands)

Some dramatic results are possible with this technique! The image below is to show how it works and to perhaps give some ideas of how you'd like to use illuminating faces in your works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ObjectsAsLights1_.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	84255

Peace

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 23 September 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Default Re: How to Make Ordinary Objects Give Off Light

Gradually, this forum is becoming more valuable for a Blender-novice than any tutorial or book that I've come across. Thanks, James !
    Guy -

I love these tools

You're welcome, Guy

Re: Forum as reference

We do try. I just try to think of helpful "secrets" and then render something using that idea to hopefully inspire others to give it a try. If not now, then file it away for later. It's bound to come up eventually.

Take care,

James

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post

If not now, then file it away for later. It's bound to come up eventually.

James
    Good advice James. That's how I learned various painting techniques. And much of what I've learned on TG. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Another wonderful tip James! I now have an idea I want to play with I love these little tips you give us, they are great to learn from and I can go back and forth between my TG window and blender to refer to them. keep em coming! Please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hello Larry and Frances

Thank you very much. I enjoy it.

I'll post some more "tips" as time allows.

Take care and have fun!

James