Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Gare's non-Xara Art

It seems funny that we categorize artwork today, such as, "This piece used Application X's Naff Filter, to...".

I'd like to just post "Artwork" here. I didn't use Xara to finish any of the below pieces, but I did use the same talent I usually use.

My Best,
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil-versus-brush-FINAL.jpg 
Views:	846 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	84227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint-versus-draw-programs.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	84228  

Last edited by Gare; 21 September 2011 at 04:34 PM.

Default Re: Gare's non-Xara Art

I agree, Gary.

The only issue I see would be that this is a particular software company's forum and so if Xara was used, it would be of interest to me to know what aspects began/manipulated in said Xara application(s).

Heck, I would love to know what work was done in what application for that matter. But that is an educational/intellectual interest. But then, I am simply not as creative as you...but I sure enjoy seeing your and others' art work. It is down right inspirational.

Take care, Mike

Talent trumps application every time Gary.

Excellent thought provoking image. The pencil and brush should try and resolve their differences.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Agreed.

Hah! People who are bound to drawing programs and those handcuffed to bitmap editors are never going to see things the same way. That's precisely why I did this "3D cartoon" as one of my friends typifies a lot of my work.

Agreed, Mike. I'm not setting out to show any disrespect for the company that hosts this forum. Conversely, I've posted dozens of Xara drawings on TG, Graphics.com, and other places, and ultimately it becomes difficult to submit my artwork to any specific gallery because one of the "guidelines" is that it must belong to species of software used to create it. I submit surreal, abstract, photorealistic, and other styles in different categories, but it just gets silly when you have to use Software X or Y to be able to post the result onf one's talent on Gallery X or Y.

When it's a design competition: yes. When it's a personal gallery...erm, I don't see the point.

How I created the "Pencil" scene: I drew the basic vector paths in Xara. Because there isn't a modeling program out there, not for $$$$, that has as good vector tools as Xara. I exported the paths as Illustrator files to Cinema 4D. Then using a number of different projection styles, I turned the paths into meshes that extended in 3 dimensions. A simple example of this technique is to draw a circle, and then in Xara you can project it forewards or backwards to establish the third dimension: it's called extruding, and modeling programs also offer sweeps, lofts, lathing, and other projection types.

Then I moved the project to Luxology modo, because it has a rendering engine superior to C4D. I assigned lighting, camera angle and other parameters such as exposure and depth of field, applied materials to the meshes, then rendered it. The sky was created in Vue, and then the two images were married using Photoshop.

It sounds ambitious, but it's really all in a day's work when you've been doing this 3D stuff close to 20 years, and were dropped on your head as an infant several times.

My Best,

Gary

talent is at least two-fold - the talent to come up with the concept/idea/visualise it, and the talent to execute it as a piece of art

a splendid example of both at work there Gare, the anthropomorphism is just great and the resonance spot on

I am rarely actually envious of what is posted here, but in this case I make an exception
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Fool Disclosure

Truth is I'd not discovered this area until I flipped the whimsical pencil drawing on Kate Moir in private email this morning, and she told me to go post it.

So if this can be a place where we can discuss artwork and make the presumption we have whatever tools we need to bring an idea to life, more's the better, eh?

I did this guy for Gary Priester, to help promote his fantastic stereogram work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fred-Eye-on-EyePad.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	84229

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Fool Disclosure

This is part of an unpublished series that Priester and I have worked on for fast food places. Imaging his stereoscopic work as posters up in the royal dining halls of Burger King, or wherever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fast-Food-beverages.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	84230

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Fool Disclosure

Fred Eyestare and "Puttin' on my Top Hat". I love it Gary.

Ronald McDonald and Burger King having a Dos Equis, that would definately be News worthy.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    It seems funny that we categorize artwork today, such as, "This piece used Application X's Naff Filter, to...".

I'd like to just post "Artwork" here. I didn't use Xara to finish any of the below pieces, but I did use the same talent I usually use.

My Best,
    Gary
    Nice, actually funny too.
    "It became sketchy when pencilly got brushed away."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Man I used this line for ages in dutch only a bit diiferent,
    I have a pohotgraphic memory, I just don`t have a darkroom.

But this one is maybe better.

Another one,
    Sure I can read minds, you only have to right it down.
    be aware, not to become a ware.