Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: how do I spin an extrusion in Blender?

James it wasn't so much having patience but planning. Start the render then take a few days Holiday.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Re: Holiday

How many renders a year is that?

You did make me think of an important point about Blender since we were discussing rendering times. While setting up the scene and doing test renders, it is a good idea to change the image size under Render tab. It is specifically set up to allow percentages, so you don't have to mess with dimensional numbers. Set your end render image resolution to whatever you want. Then, when doing test renders, decrease the percentage slider so that you get relatively quick feedback.

If you set the slider to 67%, that's in both horizontal and vertical, so 2/3 * 2/3, which is 4/9, which means you get 2/3 the finished image size, but less than half the time to render it. Set it at 50% and it has 1/4th as many pixels to render. 33% image size takes 11% time-wise.

This usually only becomes pertinent if there are significant refracting or reflecting surfaces... (or some of the more advanced features like simulating hair, etc.)

James

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That's a great tip James, thanks. I have an idea for something I'm going to try later, if I can make it work I'll have that vase filled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

One for Bill...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SameBatTime_.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	84236

That's cool, did those begin in Xara?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hello Frances,

Yes, that did start in Xara. I drew the batman logo and then SVG imported it into Blender. It wasn't quite as smooth as I wanted it upon importing. When I imported, applied SubSurf modifier and then the Array to make the copies, it was 2,100,000 faces! That many faces makes Blender move a bit slower. It also increased the rendering time, of course. This one took 17 minutes and is one of the longer renders. Since first working on this one, I've learned how to do similarly but lower-poly.

Glad you liked it...

James

I've noticed that when you convert a curve imported as a svg from Xara to a mesh you sometimes get a lot of faces is there a way to simplify these meshes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello Frances

There are several ways to simplify the meshes.

One approach is to manually go in and make more logical faces. Look also into the Beautify Fill function. ( <- under Faces) You can even go back and get rid of the faces and many of the vertices and then refill the object using more logical/structured face-creation.

Another approach is to load the object (or an image, actually) and just trace the object to create from scratch. Smooth objects especially work with this method as the SubSurf modifier makes it look smooth like the original.

Another approach is the cloth simulator. If you drop a cloth exactly on an object, it's possible to use that cloth then as the object... it will have the geometry that was used when creating the cloth, but shaped to the object.

There are other ways, of course. To find some of them, just do a search for "Blender retopo" and you should find plenty of articles.

If an object needs to have an exact shape, then the SVG works very well. It's a little sloppy when converting to a mesh, but that can be cleaned up if necessary.

When there is a little "artistic license" possible (ie. the object doesn't have to be to an exact cut), then I would tend to bring in the shape and just recreate it manually. It's easier than it sounds... Really, only when you start getting a very high number of Vertices/Faces do you really have to worry about these resources. (enough memory for the faces you've created)

Peace

James