Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: A pumpkin

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default A pumpkin

Tonight I've been experimenting with the lattice modifier it took me a while searching through some of the videos to figure out how to use the lattice but once I did I had fun Here is a pumpkin I did tonight, it's not finished, it needs texture and the lighting is not yet properly in place but here is what I have so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumpkin.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	84174
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: A pumpkin

Wahoo, pumpkin pie. Don't forget to carve it.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 18 September 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks Mike. The pumpkin exploration continues I created a texture in xara and mapped it to my pumpkin added a plane with another tiliing image created in Xara and played with the lights. I will get around to carving this pumpkin, maybe next month

For now here it is.

Name:	pumpkin2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	84176
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hello Frances,

I like the direction your pumpkin piece is headed. Looks good!

I think there is probably too much bump mapping on the ground texture, since it is so bumpy.

Great job on coming up with a good pumpkin texture.

Re: Lattice modifier

There is some incredible power in many of those modifiers. Later, (or maybe already) you will see that the Subdivision Surface modifier gets used all the time!

James

Thanks James, I haven't yet figured out how to adjust the bump mapping, I just kind of stuck the plane in there to give the pumpkin something to sit on. I have an idea for a finished piece with the pumpkin, but I need to practice a bit more, and I'm going to wait until it's a bit more timely to post it

Modifiers: I watched a video last night that showed the wave modifier, that was cool! Is there a beginner video that details the subdivision modifier? I've seen it used in some of the video tutorials I've watched, but sometimes they move too fast or kind of gloss over it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello Frances,

Offhand, I don't know of any great videos for the SubSurf (Subdivision Surface) modifier, but it's really not hard to understand.

To get an idea... open up a new scene and add a cube (or use the one that comes up automatically, if you still have the default scene loading at the beginning). Select this cube and make it smooth and then press Ctrl-2. Look what happened to your cube!!!

In the image below, they are all just cubes with SubSurf level 2 applied. The difference is ONLY in where the control loops are placed. (See why they're called control loops?) The left one has no control loops. The middle one has 2 vertical and 2 horizontal towards the middle. The right one has the same control loops as the middle one, except they are much closer to the edges of the cube. Making a rounded edge cube in modeling takes some effort. Doing it this way takes almost no effort and gives you continuous control!

Name:	SubSurf1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	84189

Using SubSurf modifiers allow you to make curvy, organic shapes and generally smooths out blocky shapes.

In the following image, the right one is a copy of the left one, but smoothed and with SubSurf (level 2) modifier added. See that for shapes/objects that have a strong rounded, curving quality, the SubSurf modifier gets you there much more quickly and generally produces better looking shapes than if you tried to recreate it strictly through modeling. Look at the one on the right. You can see that it might take a lot of fiddling in the modeler to make that shape. Looking at the one on the left, you can see how easy that one was, just adding the SubSurf (and smoothing) and voila!

Name:	SubSurf2.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	84190

Below is one more example. The right object is the same as the left object, but with smoothing and SubSurf (level 3) modifier added (along with some control loops).

Name:	SubSurf3.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	84191

I'm sure your imagination has already started spinning with ways that this can be used. This is one of the most useful of all modifiers...

Hope this helps!

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 20 September 2011 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks James that's really helpful. That's going to come in handy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]