Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

xxx

[This message was edited by rosebytes on October 12, 2000 at 04:17 PM.]
    IP

Felix,
    You certainly have answered my question. Thank you.
    IP

Hellooo Felix!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> All fluff, no substance.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Au Contraire, your messages were sooo packed with information -- I was coming up with probably 50 to 100 questions and comments I wanted to make about all the great stuff you posted! I've been coming back and re-reading them just because they were so well said.

You may want to save some of these great postings of yours to disk "just in case" something should ever happen to this data. This is just too good to leave to chance.

The time you spent putting these postings online is very appreciated. I want to second Monastic Bat's sentiment -- Thank you Felix.

And let me also add to the thank you, Welcome! please make yourself at home here. And please feel free to share whatever images, tips, or advice you can spare.

Thank you again,

Athena
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Rosebytes,

This story might be remotely related. Hopefully, some of the hocus-pocus I've gone though might give you an idea of what to try.

<ul>Driver Story 1

<LI>I bought a great plug-in called SPG WebTools. It is a wonderful plugin and it has a fabulous section called Flare FX renderer (just awesome stars and Plasma Clouds -- I'll try and find some samples).

<LI>I have an All-In-Wonder-Pro 8MB AGP video card. But that part of the plugin (the Flare FX renderer) won't work when I have the special ATI video driver installed. If I un-install the ATI video driver and just use the driver that Windows 98 SE first selected for my video card, then I can use the Flare FX renderer.

<LI>I wrote to ATI about this driver problem and they said they'd never heard of this particular program or the problem that I had. They also said that based on the error I got when running the Flare FX Renderer, I needed the latest BIOS for my motherboard and the newest GART driver for my chipset (I have an AWARD bios and an MVP3 Chipset from VIA. I built my own computer so luckily, I knew where to look for this stuff.) As it turns out, the latest BIOS and the newest GART driver didn't change the problem with the plugin at all. So I just un-install the ATI driver for Flare FX and re-install my ATI video driver when I want to see TV on my computer.[/list]

<ul>Driver Story 2
    <LI>I just got Corel Draw 9 (since I guessed they'd finally gotten the bugs out) and right out ot the box, my Corel PhotoPaint 9 was crashing.
    <LI>My trusty Wacom Art Z II was hypersensitive in PP9 and I couldn't even use the tablet setup within Photo Paint to try and adjust that. <LI>Michael Cervantes of the Corel PhotoPaint Forum here at I-US suggested that I have both the Wacom control panel open and the Corel PhotoPaint 9 open and make adjustments that way. I was skeptical but I tried it.... The man is a genius! It worked!
    <LI>I have also decided that it is best to follow Felix's advice (at least I thought I read this in one of his posts) about re-starting between using programs. In my case, Corel PhotoPaint 9 and Painter 6. It seems to clean up any sloppiness that one program may leave behind as far as how stable my Wacom is after using one or the other. (I just discovered this worked last night)[/list]

just trying to offer any morsel of info that might help. If it doesn't help you, it might help a Lurker. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Good Luck,

Athena
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 07, 2000 at 03:33 PM.

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 07, 2000 at 03:39 PM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

I once got a 'Bad RIFF data' message also. I think it is just a corrupted file. Awhile back I completely reinstalled Os 9 on my Mac and erased the hard drive. All my Painter files were transfered to my iMac then moved back to the G4 after the reinstall. In the process nearly all the .rif files were corrupted in some way. Some would not open while others had defects in the image. I now save my images in both .rif and .psd

stecyk66[/LIST]
    IP

stecyk66,

Welcome to the painter forum!

Saving in both .psd and .rif format to avoid data corruption is an excellent idea. I had certainly never thought of that solution.

(but your .psd files survived the round trip from G4 to iMac back to G4? mind boggling)

Speaking of data corruption, trial and error (in other graphics programs) has taught me to save the same file under two (or more) different names just in case one of the saves gets corrupted.

And if some people are thinking that saving one image under different formats or different filenames is extreme, . . . think of the time you might lose if you don't. Disk space is cheap -- time isn't. (Especially in something like painter, sometimes you just can't duplicate that perfect combination of strokes.)

Athena

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on September 09, 2000 at 03:43 AM.]
    Athena
    IP

Stecyk66
    Thanks for the advice, I generally save as PSD most of the time. I go back and forth to Photoshop with most of my work. I am just now figuring out the way Painter 6 uses plugins. I guess I am relearning Painter since I gave up on it after the sell out.
    IP

PC 100 ram vs the old EDO Ram

Painter 6 worked better with the old EDO RAM, however will now get rid of the 100 MHz RAM and put in 133 MHz next week when I upgrade the motherboard. Some motherboards specify a particular brand of ram, but I failed to read the manual (sound familiar?)regarding the "suggestion." got rid of one 128 mb. stick and that improved the performance - hmm, 384 mb RAM to 256 MB improved the performance. egads! the manufacturer was actually correct! amazing.

"Computers and software are all buggy and should be avoided as much as possible" said Sue. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Also, I didn't have a Wacom tablet, then finally bought one, and *that* helped nearly eliminated the locking up. Removed the tablet, kept the drivers, Painter didn't seem to know the tablet was gone. hmm, code must stipulate a tablet?
    IP

I have never had a graphics tablet and this is the first version of Painter to keep locking up on me. Kinda of annoying since this also is the first version to claim new and improved support for the mouse. I notice the lockups only happen when I am using some brushes freehand style--they don't happen when I use the brush in a straight line or when using any other tools. I put in a new mouse but that didn't help.

Am considering a Wacom graphics tablet just to get past this lockup problem. And your post along with some others here is now reinforcing this idea with me. Kind of an expensive solution for me though cause I draw with lines and Bezier curves and moving nodes around and a mouse is fine for that.

Can you or anyone tell me if your lockups only happen when using brushes freehand? This would cinch it for me that I needed a graphics tablet to get Painter 6 to work for me.
    IP

Has anybody else had problems with using the text tool in P6? I've never been able to use it. When I press the text tool button the program freezes and I have to reboot. I hoped there would be a fix in 6.01 or 6.03 but no such luck. I've never seen this particular problem mentioned anywhere. I can use Dynamic Text so it's not a big deal, I'd just have more confidence in Painter if it was a little more robust overall (like Photoshop - a dream program). I am using a Celeron machine with plenty HD space and 192MB RAM. Are there any more patches or upgrades in the works? Will there ever be a Painter 7?
    IP