Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello, can anyone tell me what to do about Painter 6.03 crashing when working on files larger than 1 meg.? I am running on a P3 PC with windows 98 se.
    When I try to reopen the file I get a message saying "Bad RIFF Data.
    IP

Hello, can anyone tell me what to do about Painter 6.03 crashing when working on files larger than 1 meg.? I am running on a P3 PC with windows 98 se.
    When I try to reopen the file I get a message saying "Bad RIFF Data.
    IP

Hello!

I have Painter 6.03, Win '98 SE, 128 MB of RAM, and an AMD K6-2 350 processor.
    <ul>
    <LI>I opened a .bmp that was 2.72 MB in size. (Incidentally, in geekspeak we type the letters MB as shorthand for MegaByte --- what you called meg.)
    <ul>
    <LI>I had no problem opening a 2.72 MB .bmp[/list][/list]
    <ul>
    <LI>Then I saved the .bmp as a .rif file.
    <ul>
    <LI>The size of the .rif was now 1.49 MB in size.[/list]
    <LI>I then opened the 1.49 MB .rif -- no problems
    <ul>
    <LI>Since this is larger than 1 MB in size, if this were a problem inherent in Painter 6.03, then I should have had the same problem.[/list][/list][/list]

This leads me to suspect that you have something else going on here. If you are unfamiliar with computers, and if no one else maintains your computer for you, you may need some digital spring cleaning in your computer.

One thing I always do, especially when programs misbehave, is defragment (or if you have Norton Utilities it's called Speed Disk) my hard drive.

<UL>What does defrag or speed disk do?
    <LI>The short answer: it sorts out your digital files on your hard drive.
    <LI>The long answer: over time, your hard drive can become like my physical desktop --- cluttered and unorganized. I have jumbled stacks of papers, disks, books, pens, pencils, in very disorderly stacks and piles.
    <LI>Disorderly is the operative word here. Defragment or Speed Disk both take the time to bring order to your digital files on your hard drive.

<LI>Disk Defragmenter comes, "free" with MS Win '98 SE (goto Start Button, Programs-->Accessories -->System Tools -- >Disk Defragmenter ) everyone I know hates this program because it is slow [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    <LI>
    Speed Disk from Norton Utilities is far faster (and to my mind) does the job just as well as defrag.</li
    [/list]

That is the best info. I can offer at the moment. If you give us more details, then maybe someone else will be able to jump in with better advice.

Good Luck,
    Athena
    ;

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on August 28, 2000 at 01:30 AM.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Monastic Bat,

if your file isn't gargantuan like 4.5MB, (if it is more like 1.7 MB or 2.5 MB) you could send me the problem rif and I could see if I have any problems opening it here.

how much RAM do you have?
    how much space you do have left on the drive that you installed Painter to? is it the same drive that Windows is on?

Just some ideas

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Athena,
    Please bear with me if my syntax is not entirely correct. I am a Lunatic Artist not a computer person.
    Thank you for your suggestions and offer to try to open the Riff files but I have already deleted them. Let me give you some additional Info. regarding my machine and what I have done already.
    I am running a Pentium 450 PC. I have 64MB of memory. I have about 7.6 GB of free disk space on drive C. Painter is on the same drive as my operating system.
    I run Scan Disk, Defrag and Disk Clean on a regular basis. I have deleted the Prebuilt brush file (as suggested by someone else) and cleaned out my E-Mail folders. I am ordering another 64MB of memory today.
    Again thanks for you help. I will let you know what happens after I get the new memory installed.

IP

xxx

[This message was edited by rosebytes on October 12, 2000 at 04:16 PM.]
    IP

Rosebytes,

You are absolutely correct! I was leafing through the Painter 6 manual and there in black and white, on page 49, they said that

Painter does not support LZW compressed TIFF file format. Only uncompressed TIFF files open into painter.

I wonder what would happen if you opened the LZW .tif in photoshop and saved it as a.psd, then opened the .psd in painter and saved as .rif -- I wonder if that would re-open then?

Monastic Bat,

While I was sitting there, bored, waiting for my computer to finish a weekly virus scan, I also noticed that the back cover of the manual said 64+ MB recommended. (yep, I was really bored)

Hopefully the extra RAM will help. The rest,of your computer sounds great 450 mHz PIII, 7.6 GB hard drive. . . better than my machine. I've got to get another year out of this machine (at least).

I remember that last autumn, before I bought Painter 6 for Christmas, I asked the forum if the bugs had been fixed and one of the people who had many problems with Painter said that she solved her problems with painter by getting herself a Wacom Tablet and everything was fixed.

Bizzare, huh?

Anyway, I'm going to write to her and see if she can shed any light on the issue (since I don't recall what problems she had with painter).

Re: Syntax

I understand. Myself, I like to be corrected. When I was learning spanish, I used to hate it if the native speaker just smiled and nodded that they understood -- instead of correcting me. I figure geekspeak is a completely different language for most people -- so I try to help when I can.

I hope when it comes to art terms, you'll jump in and correct those of us who might use a stray term in the wrong way.

Best Regards,

Athena

Athena
    IP

I know that this is a Windows driven site and all, but if anyone can offer up advice to us macweenies I'd be much obliged. I've got many of the same problems (don't dare touch that camel hair round!) and have tried most of the solutions that I'm reading about. Hopefully that 6.1 upgrade that's coming will tend to some of this as it seems to be universal... . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    IP

Michael

I am not a Mac user but you might try the House Cleaning tips that Athena gave me also try cleaning out you E-mail folders and reduce the number of installed Fonts on your system.
    Don't know if any of this will help but good luck.

IP

Michael,

I read your first post and racked my brain over how to answer. I finally decided to offer some generic Troubleshooting questions that you can answer and maybe a fellow Mac user will be able to help or maybe we'll get an answer this way (at least we'll give it a sincere try [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

1. Question
    2. What System are you using, System 6, System 7, System 8, System 9 ? These Macs last forever so that would be helpful to know.
    3. how old is old?
      <ul>
    4. you say you are having problems on an old Mac. Are we talking pre-PowerMacintosh??
    5. If so, we may be severly out of luck here.
    6. The Painter 6 program needs:
      <ul>
    7. Power Macintosh
    8. System 8 or later
    9. a minimum of 32 MB of RAM
    10. (64 MB of RAM recommended) I have 128 MB but I could easily see where more could be much better. Felix, I am soo envious. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    11. 24 bit color display recommended (I don't know how you adjust that on Mac but I will bet almost anything that the Mac has some help files on that)
    [/list][*]How much RAM do you have? Since you mentioned RAM Doubler in your first post, I suspect your "old" Mac may be low on memory (but we'll only know when you tell us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

As a general rule in computing (PC or Mac) software emulation(like RAM Doubler) is always slower than actual hardware. so if RAM doubler only costs $40 or $50 (I really have no idea how much it costs) you may think it is worth the gamble but I think you could put that same money toward the purchase of some actual memory chips and the money would be better spent.

Thinking back, in '95 when RAM Doubler made a big splash, I remember hearing good things about it. (OK I'll be specific -- 1 sales person told me it was good and 1 person who had actually used it to run win '95 on a 386 -- a machine that win 95 was not supposed to work on -- does that make a majority? of course not. )

You'd have to make sure that the current version of RAM Doubler runs on the version of Apple's System you have.
    [*]if you really had your heart set on RAM Doubler, I'd definitely check the box and see if they have a 30 day money back guarantee (but even those are a pain to follow up on)[/list]

That's the best I can offer 'til you tell us what ya got in your "old" Mac [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PS In case you dove straight to this posting because of the Mac title, do read Felix's post above. It may give you a better feel for how much RAM you need.
    Athena
    IP