Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Most efficient website regarding images...

I was wondering how the images are stored for a webpage. I am in indonesia and the web speed here is pitiful at best. I want to make sure my webpage runs as efficiently as possible. My question is if I have a large image and the same image reduced on a page, is it more efficient to create 2 images one say 65x65px and one 300x300px and then import them or is it better to only have the 300x300px image, copy it, then scale it using Web Design? When you load the page on the web does it only download it once even though it appears twice on your page?

What about across pages? if I have the same image on more than one page do you have to download the image again each time that you go to a new page?

Thanks again guys

After my first website is complete I will start to help other people with what I have learnt.

Andy

Default Re: Most efficient website regarding images...

Quote Originally Posted by handy andy View Post
    if I have a large image and the same image reduced on a page, is it more efficient to create 2 images one say 65x65px and one 300x300px and then import them or is it better to only have the 300x300px image, copy it, then scale it using Web Design?
    Xara will generate appropriate sized images for your web page. You can control the optimisation and image format chosen by Xara.

When you load the page on the web does it only download it once even though it appears twice on your page?
    They will be seperate images so they will load twice. It's not like telling dreamweaver to use the same graphic, then scaling it.

What about across pages? if I have the same image on more than one page do you have to download the image again each time that you go to a new page?
    That is my understanding.

I'd suggest thinking about Xara software in a differrent way to software such as dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is essentially a HTML assembler of assets - you provide the images, DW helps you to put them into a HTML page, so on ten pages you can ask DW to put the same graphic on every page or on one page to use the same graphic multiple times at differrent scales. In Xara, you tell it what the page should look like and it generates the graphics and all the HTML for you.

In the back of my mind there is a thought that you can force Xara to not mess with a particular graphic and to name it explicitly so the kind of reuse you have in mind may be possible. Maybe someone else will know more.

Here's a .xar that demonstrates better than I can explain
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

More pertinently perhaps, same image used in different positions on different pages ...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thankyou guys.... Looks like I needed to do this from the start. I will know this for the next site but thankyou for your input...

Andy

Sorry wring thread, please delete.
    Last edited by w00dy; 11 September 2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Error
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"