Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question How big can a working page size be in Xara Pro?

Hi there,

I've been doing the signage design for our company's tradeshow using Xara. It was good till the constructor asked me to hand over the files that fit the 4m*1m walls, and then I came to realize that Xara doesn't seem to be capable of taking the requested page size.

Then I came across this old thread:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ignage%2C+xara

Would it be correct to assume that the working page size is still very limited in Xara? Does anyone know what is the actual page size limit?
    Last edited by wall; 09 September 2011 at 02:53 PM.

Default Re: How big can a working page size be in Xara Pro?

When dealing with vector graphics, page size is all relative. Especially when exporting to PDF. You can set up a file with a page size of, say 40cm x 10cm, export to PDF, and when it goes to print, set it to scale to fit the page. As long as the aspect ratio is the same, you're good.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply. The thing is the design is a combination of raster and vector graphics. I've asked the constructor to scale up the files I gave him on his side, but it still seems to be a cap that may should have been lifted from Xara, perhaps?

When you export, you can specify nearly any DPI you want for the bitmap elements (anything past 600 is probably not necessary), so scaling up isn't usually an issue.

My guess is that the limitation on page size within Xara itself is due to memory constraints, but that's just uneducated speculation.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

the size limit is 10368pix x 10368pix [which equates to 108in at 96dpi] - and this is only if you have the outer margin set to 0, otherwise you have to deduct that [and sometimes more] from the page size max for both hight and width
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you both for the replies.

what Ben says is true enough if, say, your poster is ok printed at 150dpi and you have a 600dpi image - the 600dpi image will only take up a quarter of the workspace hight and width that an equivalent 150dpi image would - but the 600dpi image will be loaded uncompressed into memory so sooner or later you will run out if there are lots of these at one time
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...