Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Irregular line spacing WD7

The text line spacing is different in the first line than in the remainder of the homepage text in this site. I've deleted and entered the text but same effect. I've set line spacing to 115% - could that be the reason?

Default Re: Irregular line spacing WD7

Who knows? Sometimes a cap letter will affect the line spacing, but that should not be the case here. All of the lines seem to be unevenly spaced to me. And out of curiousity, what font are you using? Is it a web font?

There are a few things you can try.

Select the first line and use the Line Spacing adjustment to alter the spacing. Then preview to make sure this is doing what you want.

Try altering the size to 13px and see if that does anything.

Make each line separate, and use the Align, Vertical Distribute Equi-Space to space out the text.

Best I can come up with.

It is extremely difficult for me to ferret out font issues in this application's html output.

In looking at the code, there are some strange declarations. For instance, "unicode-bidi:bidi-override" is used for changing the direction (left to right and right to left text encoding) but is used on the first character (the "T") of the first line that the spacing is off on.

Another thing--don't assume every person has Garamond or another font of the same family installed.

There is javascript stuffed in between the heading (WELCOME TO THE TRUE COMPANY) and the paragraph with the leading line mis-spaced. The javascript stuff is for the pictures. How it got between the two paragraphs is beyond me but does not belong there. Try selecting the text from the heading to that first paragraph and you'll see what I mean without looking at the code.

The page is a mess. Sorry.

Take care, Mike

OK. It happens on every line you are changing the font size. So it actually is not the first line. Look a little closer.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    It is extremely difficult for me to ferret out font issues in this application's html output.

In looking at the code, there are some strange declarations. For instance, "unicode-bidi:bidi-override" is used for changing the direction (left to right and right to left text encoding) but is used on the first character (the "T") of the first line that the spacing is off on.

Another thing--don't assume every person has Garamond or another font of the same family installed.

There is javascript stuffed in between the heading (WELCOME TO THE TRUE COMPANY) and the paragraph with the leading line mis-spaced. The javascript stuff is for the pictures. How it got between the two paragraphs is beyond me but does not belong there. Try selecting the text from the heading to that first paragraph and you'll see what I mean without looking at the code.

The page is a mess. Sorry.

Take care, Mike
    Thanks Mike. Garamond is not a web font but that is the client's decision because its on his vehicles, biz cards and other marketing artifacts. It appears that caps on the line changes the spacing. Not sure why the js is where it is but that's an XWD program design issue. XWD also does inline css for every bit of styling which, to my mind, could be improved if the program were able to combine similar stylings and written to a stylesheet! But, its a really fantastic wysiwig program so little chance the css mods I refer to could happen.

If you have to use Garamond, you can purchase an Adobe Web Font. http://www.adobe.com/type/webfont/info.html (And be sure to charge your client for this).

The way this works is you specify this font and when the visitor visits your site, the font is downloaded into her or his browser and will display as you have designed it.

They claim that the font downloads instantly and that the visitor is not aware of the download. I have never used these and so I am not sure if this is true or not.

The other alternative is to convert the text to a bitmap, (you can convert the text to editable shapes or just group it) but then you loose the searchability of the text. You can add an Alt tag to the bitmap to add some of the search words.

But if your client wants to use the font for all the text then the Web Font is the way to go.

"The customer is always right" is one of the worst sayings that has perpetuated web and graphic design. However, I have successfully talked web clients into using their desired font in limited places (such as title graphics, banners, etc.) and used the similar Times New Roman for body text.

That won't solve the issue. However, look up what is needed to use small caps instead of changing given letters to a larger font (or, vise versa, the remaining text to a smaller font size). Also, if this issue is bothersome to the client, consider breaking the paragraphs up so that a larger size is always the beginning of a paragraph. That would make it appear closer to what a print mag would be like--only the first line of a new paragraph would have the spacing affected.

Take care, Mike