Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Group text and search engines

Hi
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere that when we group text (which i have done to get fonts to show correctly and overcome text running off the page when viewed on my mobile phone) that it is converted to an image rather than text.

My question is, does anyone know if this is true - does it convert to an image ? - and given that i know nothing about how search engines work... would the text that i have grouped be picked up via a search engine ?? I dont want to affect my page ranking

thanks

Default Re: Group text and search engines

Standard grouping does convert text to an image, which isn't good for text that you want picked up by search engines.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Instead of grouping text and allowing it to become an image upon export, convert it to an image in the first place.

Then, use alt and title tags. Google/Bing use this information as well as regards reading the page by their bots. While not as good as actually readable text on the page, it does factor into the bots pulling the information and using it for the search algorithms.

Just make sure there is plenty of readable text as well.

Take care, Mike

Thanks both of you for the replies. Much appreciated

Hi, my mind started ticking over...

if i ungroup the text it is going to cause issues viewing on mobile devices and issues with the fonts i've used. I was thinking... is it possible to clone the ungrouped text on a separate layer with no fill and no line colour (ie invisible) and still have it picked up by search engines, and i could have the black text grouped on the separate layer.... do you think that would work at all ?

"no fill and no line colour"

This is a technique often used by black hats in the past and will get your site instantly flagged as potential trash.

If you give the text the name "htmltext" it will not be converted to an image despite being grouped with another object.

Not sure if this will cure the text overrun on mobiles. Are you setting your text in areas, lines or columns ?

Thanks Drwyd,
    I will bypass the no fill no line colour on that advice ! I have my text set in a text box. I tried doing it via a line and a column but the text still runs off the page on my mobile. I will name the text as you have suggested and leave it grouped.

Does it make any difference whether i name the text before or after it is grouped ?

cheers

Does it make any difference whether i name the text before or after it is grouped ?
    It shouldn't do. Use CTRL+Click to select just the text.

Also try using the name "htmlblocktext" ... it may help with mobile browsers.

Ok will do. Thanks for your help