Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara plus Blender questions

Well done, Frances. It's nice to see where Xara and Blender come together, and the problems you meet in Blender look quite familiar to me
    Guy -

I love these tools

Hello Frances,

Very nice teacup scene. You're learning to map textures onto objects and doing some modeling, so you're definitely moving right along!

Hirsig's tutorials are a good start, because he tends to teach about various functions, one-by-one. (rather than having a large project made up of many functions where each one is casually mentioned in snippet form)

You're really making progress and I look forward to seeing more!

Take care

James

P.S. Remember also that a texture can control many things, not only color. Especially useful are textures as bump maps and for the alpha channel, where you can even make objects have various amounts of transparency, all the way to completely invisible. Like the checkerboard sphere that I made, it was much easier to make that sphere by just mapping one texture than to go back and hand-select and remove all the various faces. Also, with the texture, you can always modify it by just modifying the texture.

P.P.S. Did you print out the cheat sheet reference for the keyboard shortcuts? Blender has many, many buttons and menus, but there are a lot of functions that there are only keyboard shortcuts for, so it pays to have that reference. Here's a handy one for you. Shift-H. When you press Shift-H, the currently selected object remains, but all the other objects are hidden. When you have a complex scene or you just need to get to some part of an object that might be obscured by other objects (like a wall!), then Shift-H makes it so that you can focus on that one part and get it right. When you have it, then you can press Alt-H and everything comes back (but be careful, since it all comes back SELECTED.... just press A afterwards) If you just need to hide some particular object, then you just have to have it selected and press H.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thank you Guy and James.

Yes I did print out that keyboard reference, and it's already been helpful! From it I learned to hold the alt key to select an edge loop, came in very handy for modeling the teacup. I'll remember the Shift-h alt -h. thanks for the encouragement it's really helped me to not give up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Thanks Tom. I found an online course with all kinds of links, tutorials, lessons, and a pdf manual with illustrations Blender 3D Design course I haven't been through a lot of it yet but I think it may be a good resource.
    Thanks for the Link angelize -the site looks like a great place to learn (123D update did not work for me -something about video card, yet the prior version was fine) So, I will be 'Blending' for a while -I just hope the Tutorials will stream to South America [many won't] - Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

I like the pdf-tutorials, because then I can work at my own pace. The results I get when trying to follow the videos usually don't match the assumed outcome...
    Guy -

I love these tools

Quote Originally Posted by guyke View Post
    I like the pdf-tutorials, because then I can work at my own pace. The results I get when trying to follow the videos usually don't match the assumed outcome...
    I have that happen (a lot) too...
    Tom - Hwy101

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Me too, I thought I was probably the only one who had trouble following the videos. What would really be helpful would be if they would slow down for the beginners and if they could be more clear sometimes when using the keyboard short cuts!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I prefer written tutorials (html more so than pdf). The Pause button helps with video tutorials but often the person making the video forgets to mention the keyboard shortcuts they use.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello Frances

Re: Keyboard shortcuts in Blender tutorials

There's no excuse for it, since Blender will display the keyboard shortcuts as they are pressed, while recording. They should show up in the bottom left of the main viewport. They have to be turned on.

James

Talking Re: Xara plus Blender questions

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    Hello Frances

Re: Keyboard shortcuts in Blender tutorials

There's no excuse for it, since Blender will display the keyboard shortcuts as they are pressed, while recording. They should show up in the bottom left of the main viewport. They have to be turned on.

James
    Speaking of Keyboard Shortcuts -I made a crib sheet you can Print Out to have as a Handy Reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlenderKeys.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	84149

Now, I was printing on A4 Size; So, you might have to tweak for Other Size Paper. If anybody wants the file, PM me with your email and I will be happy to email it to you.
    Tom - Hwy101