Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara plus Blender questions

Good sleuthing, Guy!

That makes perfect sense.

In my workflow, if I'm adding a plane with image mapped to it, the first thing I do is add the material and turn off the specularity, so had never run into this problem of adding a texture without having attached the material (of which the texture is a sub-element).

Good work that you found it.

Peace

James

Made a few rings in Xara and applied them with different mappings to different meshes - fun to do
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	projecties .jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	84062
    Guy -

I love these tools

Those are very cool, Guy!

You could have just one of those much closer and make almost a whole piece out of it. They look that good...

Peace

James

Thanks James!
    Guy -

I love these tools

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like those Guy, the cylinder reminds me of a candle, all it needs is a wick and a flame!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I'm trying to do a delicate teacup. I'm stuck on two things: one when I smooth the shading I get weird raised vertical lines that I don't want. and two I am having trouble creating a handle that has a smooth curve.

Here is my blend file I think I have the texture packed this time. When I get the tea cup right I have a liquid texture file that I created in Xara that I'm going to map to a circle to make the cup appear to be filled with tea (I hope)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hello Frances,

The raised vertical lines that you see indicate that part of the faces you've created are pointing inward and part are pointing outward. With the "flat" shading, there's no problem since it makes them two-sided, but when doing smooth shading an exaggerated edge is created in order to make the two (opposite facing) regions smooth. Just select the offending object and go into Edit mode (tab) and select all of the object's faces and on the left hand toolbar there is a button for recalculate. This will make the normals consistent and get rid of the weird effect you mentioned.

The teacup looks really nice. The geometry isn't quite right, because from 90° you can see that it's not symmetrical. From your view (the camera) it does look symmetrical, so no harm if you'll only see it from the front. Currently, it appears paper thin. With the cup selected, you can click the Modifiers button (looks like a wrench) and Add Modifier - Solidify. This will give some thickness to your cup, which you can modify with the thickness value of the modifier.

In the file that you sent, you are in perspective mode. If you'll press 5 on the numeric keypad, you'll go to Orthographic mode, which will be much better for when you are trying to model things. (since perspective is removed, everything lines up "properly")

Once you have the teacup looking like you want it, you won't have any trouble using the circle to make the cup appear filled.

Take care

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 11 September 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Tea is served! I'm not happy with the handle but I'm learning. Today I learned that a circle needs faces before you can map an image to it but I figured it out with out asking for help All the textures in this I created in Xara, tablecloth, teacup pattern, and liquid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d teacup.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	84066
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Good so far Angelize! (I haven't gotten far enough to have a Handle on things, to worry about) You are making much better progress than I am. Keep showing us what you have accomplished! Tom
    Last edited by Hwy101; 12 September 2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Just being clear
    Tom - Hwy101

Thanks Tom. I found an online course with all kinds of links, tutorials, lessons, and a pdf manual with illustrations Blender 3D Design course I haven't been through a lot of it yet but I think it may be a good resource.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]