Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Xara plus Blender questions

I can't seem to figure out how to import an image into blender say a png or a jpeg to map to an object. I have some seamless tiles that I created in Xara that I'd like to try mapping to a sphere. The file import list doesn't include jpeg, png, or other common formats, just lots of 3d formats and SVG what am I missing?? (besides my mind!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

3D software uses materials and textures (shading properties) to color the surface of an object. I don't use blender so I can't give you specific instructions, if you check out the manual it should give you the procedure, materials and texturing is what you are looking for.
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do...nual#Materials
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 06 September 2011 at 02:26 AM.

Hi, I asked the same thing -I could not find a way to bring in something to start with... seems the program is not 'cluttered' up with lots of potential things to use... but, I will have to re-find the thread here, to remember what I was told to do to turn on being in a format not shown... (I have lost that piece of my mind already) LOL -let me go look. BRB (I want to say it is in Options & you have to 'Turn-On' the Format you want to bring in... seemed strange to me) -- Not Options; but, User Preferences -Here let James say it:

Re: Blender 2.57 Stable version !

Hello Tom

There are many import options in Blender. Some of them you have to turn on by going to User Preferences. (many of the things in Blender are activated this way, so that the software isn't bloated with tons of unused options)

Have fun!

James
    Last edited by Hwy101; 06 September 2011 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Found the Answer! Woo Hoo!
    Tom - Hwy101

Thanks fellas! Ok here is my very first attempt at a 3d rendering in Blender. It's not the greatest but hey it's a start! Both of the textures were created in Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my first blender image.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	83977
    Last edited by angelize; 06 September 2011 at 05:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

I like it (lots better than mine)!
    Tom - Hwy101

Well done Frances, it's taken me weeks to get to that stage !
    Guy -

I love these tools

Hello Frances,

That looks great.

I see that you have found the image mapping (your question from an earlier post).

I can't tell (and so, in this image it doesn't matter) if you've set the mapping for the sphere to Sphere Mapping? Just in case, you find that option here:

Name:	MappingGraphic.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	83978

For the ground image, you can also give it some bump mapping to look a bit more textured. It's really easy to do, you only have to check the Normal checkbox, (under Influence), give it a small amount, and change the Bump Mapping Method to "Best Quality". Season to taste.

Name:	InfluenceGraphic.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	83979

Something else, just so that you know... any images that are used for textures can (of course) control the coloring of an object, but they can also control other things, such as how textured the object appears (Normal), how transparent the object is (Alpha), etc. You can even stack as many as 10 textures (controlling various things) on top of each other for virtually infinite effects.

In the example below, there are no faces removed from the object. It is a simple, red sphere, but with a grid (composed of alternating black and transparent squares). By setting the objects Transparency to Alpha = 0 (obj invisible), and then using the mapped texture image, with the Alpha box checked and set to 1, the object will be transparent, but only where there was transparency in the original texture!

Name:	MappedTransparency.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	83980

Blendfile for the above image...

Keep at it, Frances; you're already off to a great start!

Have fun!

James

P.S. One other little tip in case you go to use a texture with transparency. If you have a plane (let's say) and it has transparency, it will cast a rectangular shadow (ie. disregarding transparency) UNLESS you go to the Materials tab for the object receiving the shadows and go down to Shadow and enable "Receive Transparent". In the above example image, the floor plane must have this set or the shadow on the floor is of the entire sphere (no holes). Also, the inside faces of the sphere would not have been illuminated unless Receive Transparent is set for the sphere as well. This is one that had me pulling my hair out. I had added an object with transparency, but had solid shadows as if the object had no transparency. Finally had the answer, which I share with you here so you don't have to pull out any hair. (at least over that one)
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 06 September 2011 at 08:54 AM.

Nice work! Next thing to learn is lighting: Put one (or two) additional lights to achieve greater realism, even with simplistic designs like this.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Thanks to you both. Last night I watched a tutorial video, where the guy did some balloons it seemed pretty cool, though at the end he went into the node based editor to make adjustments to his rendered layers and I couldn't help thinking how much easier that part would be in Xara! I don't know if I will have much time to play today, work (the paying kind) beckons, but maybe this evening I'll have something to share or more questions to ask or both!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Wow lots to read here! thanks so much James and pauland.
    Yes I agree. I bookmarked this thread so I could find it again later If I need it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.