Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I get rid of warning on fonts

How do I get rid of warning on fonts??? It keeps popping up and very buggy

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: How do I get rid of warning on fonts

Can you elaborate on the warning you are getting? If you can give us a little more information to go on we would be better able to help
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I asked the same question some time ago but no one could offer an answer. If it is the same as me it is when a font is used somewhere on the site that isn't web safe(or is no longer supported) you get a warning every time the site is exported or opened. It is very difficult if not impossible to track down the errant font especially if it is a letter missed when converting an imported bit of text. I becomes especially annoying when several sites are loading when you start up WD7P and they all have an odd errant font in them.
    Ken
    Last edited by mentorman; 02 September 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added "or no longer supported"

As for copy/pasting in text for an Xara web site coming from another source, first paste the text into a text editor (even the lowly Notepad), hit ctrl-a to reslect it all, cut and paste into Xara.

This removes the possibility of copying font information that will eventually break your web site (and give the above warning). Then, you are free to highlight and change the font to any web safe font.

If one really desires to use non-web safe font, there is a method but one should use it very carefully and in limited doses.

If one knows what the font is, you can use a decent text editor (such as the free, open source NotePad++) to search through all your html files looking for the font name. That will at least give you what page the font is on in order to go in and edit it.

Take care, Mike

OK Stop me if you have heard this more than 3 million times.

Patient to doctor: Doc, it hurts when I walk like this!

Doctor to patient: So, don't walk like that!

If you use web safe fonts you won't see that warning.

And if you group non web safe fonts you won't see that message. But if you specified an elegant script font that is perfect and looks great in your browser and it shows up in everybody's browser except yours as Helvetica or Times Roman and ruins your excellent design, then a warning to save you from yourself is a very small price to pay.

Ken - Open the Names Gallery and find the missing font name. Click the Select button and change the color to red. Then look in your document for a red font and change it.

Thanks Gary will do as I appear to have built up quite a collection of errant fonts over the sites. It has always been a problem to find where they (sometimes single letter or word) are and putting up with the warnings is the lesser of two evils compared with searching every bit of text. As usual forum to the rescue.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    OK Stop me if you have heard this more than 3 million times.

Patient to doctor: Doc, it hurts when I walk like this!

Doctor to patient: So, don't walk like that!

If you use web safe fonts you won't see that warning.

And if you group non web safe fonts you won't see that message. But if you specified an elegant script font that is perfect and looks great in your browser and it shows up in everybody's browser except yours as Helvetica or Times Roman and ruins your excellent design, then a warning to save you from yourself is a very small price to pay.

Ken - Open the Names Gallery and find the missing font name. Click the Select button and change the color to red. Then look in your document for a red font and change it.
    The warning should only come once and NOT thousands of times. That would be a lot more logical!

I forgot to mention something that is really bothersome.

A space after a sentence can be another font. There have been times when I almost went crazy looking for a missing font only to find that the missing font was not visible but was in a space between sentences.

The warning should only come once and NOT thousands of times. That would be a lot more logical!
    No, what would be logical is for the message to go away when the issue has been addressed and fixed.

But I do agree that perhaps there should be one of those check boxes that let you opt not to see the warning again.

Scanning the posts for useful information, as I'm wont to do often, came upon this reference to the "names gallery." Can't find it in WD7 Premium. It would be great to be able to track down elusive unsupported fonts, so I'd love to know how to find a way. Thanx.

Xara has made things easier for the WD6 and WD7 users It exists in Designer Pro and in Photo and Graphics Designer but not in WD6 and WD7.

I should have checked this out before I posted.

You can look in File > Document Info to see what fonts are used on your site but I guess there is no way to select a specific font. That's really bad news.