Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Browser Quality

I am an experienced user of graphics software and also an experienced user of Xara products having used Webstyle 4 for more than a year and Xara X1 for 6 months.

Today I purchased Xara 3D and I seem to be doing something very wrong because the rendition of the graphic in the Xara 3D window is excellent but when viewed in a browser it is absolutely terrible. When exporting I have chosen all the options - that I can see - to optimise the graphic but this has not made any noticeable difference. The problems are sufficiently significant to make the graphics unusable on a professional website. Problems include : jagged edges; colours much darker than in the 3D window; shawdows are a solid block rather than a shawdow; colours are significantly different; the whole "look-and-feel" of the graphic is rough and not at all professional when viewed via a browser. Yet the same graphic looks 100% spot-on when viewed in the Xara 3D window.

I have looked on the Xara website at examples that were (supposedly??) created with Xara 3D and they look good. So my conclusion is that I am not doing something that I should be doing when I export the graphic.

Guidance from more experienced forum members would be most gratefully received. Thanks.

Hello Jayemcee,
    I suspect you need to amend the quality settings. Type Alt-Q and the Quality settings dialog should pop up, allowing you to set Export quality as desired. I usually set this to Highest.

Mike

Hi Mike
    That seems to be the magic key.... of course the file is now a massive 2meg for a single word!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif but I suspect a few more hours and I will have the settings sorted that will result in the optimum balance between quality and and file size (wouldn't it be nice if 56k modems were banned)

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I didn't realise that the quality had to be setup both within the work area and when exporting the graphic. First time that I have seen that in a graphics program. In fact the quality settings in the Export dialog box have only a minimal effect, those in the work area (Alt-q) have a much bigger impact.