Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Look at this vector program Sketchbook Designer

I actually quite like the variable width feature - could always be better of course

The interface I like not at all

I sketch very fast, and the 'puck' that pops up with every stroke for adjusting the stroke just made kept getting in the way - pita - maybe it can be disabled

and it is not worth the asking price - agreed
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guest Guest

Hi Coco,
    I agree with many of your points. Some comments:

Minusses

-Cannot select the object as whole, only as segments.
    That's not correct. Check the (fantastic) Transform Controls on the Right.

-NO transparencies.
    There's Layer Transparency as well as Blend Modes. Indeed there's no by Object Transparency.
    -Absolutely no keyboard shortcuts
    Well, there's some, but definedly to few. This is really a pain.
    -Oversimplified controls at times, there is neither bezier or bspline type direct point curve controls.
    Well, there's quite comprehensive Curve Controls - much more suitable ones than inside Xara for Product Design work at least - but there's in fact no Bezier handles.
    Last edited by polyxo; 07 September 2011 at 10:19 AM.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

I sketch very fast, and the 'puck' that pops up with every stroke for adjusting the stroke just made kept getting in the way - pita - maybe it can be disabled
    It can be set to be triggered with Ctrl+Shift in Preferences.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne
    Sketchbook Designer Pro is very cool and has some of the most unique implementations of the standard pen tool I have ever seen.
    Yeah, I find courageous that they created such a consequently Tablet Input geared GUI which many Users coming from a Mouse Centric Application will not like...
    A warning tho, it is absolutely PLAGUED with glitches. Expect a lot of crashing, and, if you are not using a high ebd Wacom brand tablet expect compatibility issues.
    I have a Cintiq and still have problems. Oddly that program only seems to work fine when the Cintiq is set to primary Monitor (which I can't do for several reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    Yeah, I find courageous that they created such a consequently Tablet Input geared GUI which many Users coming from a Mouse Centric Application will not like...
    well yes that's true - and I guess I would get used to it.. it's not as if I am mouse-centric, certainly don't sketch with one..

It can be set to be triggered with Ctrl+Shift in Preferences.
    and that would certainly help thanks..

but the price remains a deal-breaker for me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I draw. A lot. And I am trying to use Xara more for this, but a lot of the drawing process in Xara isn't tablet friendly. That is my biggest personal frustration with it. That said, I use Xara more than any other program to earn my living.

The price isn't a factor for me because as a student, I got a free license for it. The learning curve for me is trying to use an radically different application after using Xara for 18 years.

I'd much rather see Xara add significant improvements than switch programs.

If I could paint with vectors, in Xara I would. But again, I wish i had the ability to create more custom painterly brushtrokes and have the ability to draw/paint with shapes.
    Last edited by Sheff; 07 September 2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Sheff
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
    The price isn't a factor for me because as a student, I got a free license for it. The learning curve for me is trying to use an radically different application after using Xara for 18 years.

Sheff, you have some fantastic artwork on your site, so I'm a bit surprised to see you as a Student! What are you studying?

Paul

Animation, specifically visual development. I was urged to get a masters by my job as a teacher, but I was let go earlier this year. Since I'm at about halfway, I might as well finish.
    Sheff
    My Site

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure you'll do well at it.

I used to tech computer programming at evening classes back when I was twenty five and I remember what fun it was. If I could do it again, I would.

The program rocks, once you learn it. And its a joy to learn and to use.

However its probably based on Nurbs curves instead of splines which comes from 3d technology.

You have everything at your fingertips and everything is very easy to use. No tiny points you have to click.

Its very fast since everything is right there and very precise.

It still lacks a few basic things, such as a basic rounded corner box no object transparencies and the price.

But if Xara can be inspired and move in this direction I would prefere Xara.