Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

hey all...
    I'm a long-time Painter user and just came across this forum... nice place yall got here. I use Painter for illustration mainly but I've also been known to use it for texture-mapping in 3dsMax... I'd be interested to see if anyone else is using Painter for texturing 3d stuff.
    My tech q: I'm running Painter 5.5 on W2k Professional, and lately for some reason it has been saving corrupted files. When I re-open those files they appear as though lines have been raked into it and changed the pixel color all the way down. The entire painting is ruined, and destroys days of hard work. I can still see the image but the colors are banded and weird. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if you know what to do about it... should I maybe re-install Painter? Thanks for any help you could give me.
    IP

hey all...
    I'm a long-time Painter user and just came across this forum... nice place yall got here. I use Painter for illustration mainly but I've also been known to use it for texture-mapping in 3dsMax... I'd be interested to see if anyone else is using Painter for texturing 3d stuff.
    My tech q: I'm running Painter 5.5 on W2k Professional, and lately for some reason it has been saving corrupted files. When I re-open those files they appear as though lines have been raked into it and changed the pixel color all the way down. The entire painting is ruined, and destroys days of hard work. I can still see the image but the colors are banded and weird. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if you know what to do about it... should I maybe re-install Painter? Thanks for any help you could give me.
    IP

Hi and welcome!

A couple of recommendations:

Always save your work in a series of files, in Painter's native RIFF format naming them, for instance:

waterfall01.rif
    waterfall02.rif
    waterfall03.rif

If a file becomes corrupted, or if Painter should crash in the middle of your work, you can, at least, open the last saved version and not lose all of your work.

Painter RIFF files sometimes become corrupted when saved as compressed RIFFs (the default method). If you're having problems with corrupted RIFFs, check the Uncompressed box when saving.

Doing an Uninstall and reinstall doesn't hurt as long as you save any files you created in a separate folder first and, after the Uninstall, you manually delete any remaining Painter folders and files, then reboot before doing the Install again.

Good luck,

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    (Painter 5 and 6 tutorials, Painter 7 info, tutorials, PDF downloads, brushes)
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP