Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painter Auto-Wrecks My Brushes...

Painter 12.

I add a brush folder from a previous collection. I put it in my user brushes folder under the workspace (not in program files (win 7). It works when I first open Painter.
    When I exit, Painter auto-adds a new category folder, and the next time I start Painter it complains that the category is not complete (or something) and won't let me load the brush library that just worked.

I have to manually delete the bogus category and then it works, until the next time.

Why??

I love the brushes in Painter but my god this is a frustrating app to work with!
    IP

Default Re: Painter Auto-Wrecks My Brushes...

a while since I did this [and not in ver 12] but as I recall you are doing it the wrong way round

first you create the brush category - see here:

http://product.corel.com/help/Painte...tml/wwhelp.htm

then you place your brush folder in the newly created category in your workspace directory

don't guarantee that will work but hope it helps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

When I did that, it created a new category and folder in my Painter 12 brush folder. It looks like that is designed for a single category to be added to an existing main folder.
    What I have is a folder with like 20 sub categories of brushes (5-15 or so brushes in each sub category).
    I have another such folder (from the Painter WOW book) that works just by dragging the whole mess in. But the folder in question doesn't. When I tried moving that folder to the main Brushes folder, I got it to work once, but then ran into the problem described above. I can fix it by deleting the bad folder it created each time I open Painter.

Referring to your reference http://product.corel.com/help/Painte...tml/wwhelp.htm it seems that I should be able to copy in an entire folder. Although in their example they copy to the Painter application area vs the user folders.

So again, if I understand, you are suggesting I create a brush category from within the app. But I think what I need is bigger than a category - I need a whole new main folder with many categories inside it - a new LIBRARY, not a new category.
    IP

Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Painter 12 does not have an import library option under brushes. Its there in 11. I will keep researching.
    IP

hi

it looks like those links I gave you do not work - they just go to the landing page - typical Corel unhelpfulness [if you go to the index tab > B > and scroll down to brushes - lots of useful stuff]

anyhow... is this what you want?......:

To open a Corel Painter 7 or later brush library
    1 In the operating system, browse to the location where the Corel Painter 7 or later brush library folder is stored.
    2 Copy the files.
    3 Paste the library folder in the Corel\Painter 12\Brushes folder.

You need to ensure that the library folder is writable by doing the following:

(Mac OS) While pressing Control, click the brush library folder, and click Get Info. In the Info dialog box, disable the Locked check box. Repeat for subfolders and files.

(Windows) Right-click the brush library folder, and choose Properties. On the General page, disable the Read-only check box, and click Apply. In the Confirm Attribute Changes dialog box, enable the Apply Changes to This Folder, Subfolders and Files option.

4 In Corel Painter, click the Brush Selector on the Brush Selector bar.
    5 In the Brush Library panel, click the Brush Library Options button , and choose Brush Library Painter Brushes.
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Yup. Did all that from the get-go. Ok here is what I just did.
    Went into Painter 11. Imported Photoshop workspace (my preference). Then I dragged and dropped my old brush folders in as described in your link above. All worked in Painter 11. Then I exported the workspace. Went to Painter 12, imported the workspace and all brushes worked. Exited Painter, came back in and immediately got an error about a missing category. After that only the Painter 12 brushes worked. So I am back to square one.

I think Painter/Corel is just riddled with problems like this. I have been using Corel since Corel Draw version 5 (on and off) and they just never seem to get proper QA going in any of their work (although Corel Draw seems to be improving). I wish to god that Photoshop had these brushes. The so called natural media bristle brushes in PS are just a joke compared to Painters, but then in Painter I seem to spend 50% of my time fighting the app.

Guess I will manually delete the bogus folders Painter inserts when I need to access those brushes. And I will be praying for big strides forward when PS CS6 comes out in 2012.
    IP

well like I said I'm not up to speed on painter 12

try here :

http://painterfactory.com/Default.aspx

good luck
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thank you for your help and effort.
    IP

Hi GPainter,

I haven't read this entire thread, only the first few posts, so I may have missed something important.

It sounds like you were doing everything as you should. However, there's a known bug in Painter 12 that has not been fixed even with the SP1 patch installed.

The only solution is to install custom brushes in the application/program folder's > [Workspace Name] > Brushes folder, ideally in their own custom brush library.

The reason for installing custom brushes in their own custom brush library is because loading up an existing brush library with a lot of custom brush categories and brush variants can slow down Painter's performance.

It only takes a few minutes to create custom brush categories and their accompanying brush category .JPG icon image files, then create a custom brush library folder and place both the brush category folders and their (matching name) .JPG brush category icon image files inside the custom brush library.

Remember, if you place them in the User folder you'll continue to have those peculiar extra folders added by Painter and need to be cleaning them up all the time.

Hope this helps. It should, and hopefully Corel will give us another patch one of these days that will fix this, and other, bugs.
    Last edited by Jinny Brown; 24 August 2011 at 07:40 PM.
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP