Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: remove web stuff from xara designer

My very humble two cents. For almost thirty years I have been a big advocate of keeping all programs separate: my bitmaps or vectors in this, my publishing in that, my web design in the other. I have avoided programs where all this was integrated. Or avoided features as they were introduced. Then came Xara Designer Pro 7. Good grief. I think it is an amazing program. I have completely changed my point of view, and, like most geeks, I hardly ever do that! This program has wrested me from my beloved Photoimpact (another gem, now dated, and cruelly left to rot at Corel). It's wrested me from Fireworks, which I have used professionally for many years. And it's even taken me from Netobjects Fusion, which I have used and loved forever. After about two days of using Xara, I simply found I wasn't going to my other programs: no point. Whatever Xara Designer Pro can't do yet, I just work around. It's worth it.

All of the programs I used in the past did other things too. But I never used the graphics capability of Netobjects Fusion. I never used the web design capability of Photoimpact or Fireworks. They felt cobbled on, and I felt gave lacklustre results sometimes. I always felt the secondary part of these programs was bolted on as an afterthought. But all of Xara's tools seem made for their primary purpose, even though, obviously, they must have been bolted on. I bought Web Designer Premium 7, but don't use it now because I find I prefer the tools in Designer Pro 7. It seems to make the whole thing work, easily and very elegantly. I love it.

So I beg: please don't petition to get everything separated out. I think it would dilute Xara's programming efforts too much. And it would remove some of the extraordinary functionality that I currently enjoy. Having read this month's rave reviews of the product in PC Pro, and Computer Shopper, both in the UK, the critics share my delight at this feature-packed product. It is not often that a program is so well thought-out that it completely trounces Adobe's Creative Suite, which is what just happened in our press. I think Xara is very modest not to have that writ in 200 px type on their home page. Animated.

In addition, some of Xara's web design tools are the only new thing I have seen on the web in years. I think Xara has set the innovation bar very high, and almost every other competitor will be in awe for some time to come.

I do agree with Gary. In the same way that when people complain about a TV program they don't like, I say "change channels". I say about this, if you don't want to use a part of the Xara program, then just don't click there. I do understand how you feel, I promise, but I think what is happening at the moment in Xara's design is the best of all worlds. Lucky us.

Peace to all.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Customer loyalty is a two way street. Loyalty to customers is required in order to receive loyalty from customers.
    Programs change, and for this loyal customer since CorelXara days, the changes worked for the better. Different folks / different strokes I guess.

In any event, as pointed out these particular changes were unrelated to the the topic at hand, which is "remove web stuff"...

Good post, Ali. Agree with your points.
    For my money, removing the Web Features would be a backwards step and would certainly mess with my workflow.
    Besides, as I see it we already have one application which focuses on the web side, Web Designer, and one which focuses on the graphics side Photo & Graphic Designer. People can make their choice easily. Designer Pro 7 simply has everything for those who want Xara with the lot

Solution: Add Pro Vector Import and Export along with Pantone Color support to P&GD.

Honestly though, I concede the futility of my wish for a purely vector version from Xara. Even with the changes to how things work and frustation of having to change my workflow, Xara Designer Pro is the best application available.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    Besides, as I see it we already have one application which focuses on the web side, Web Designer, and one which focuses on the graphics side Photo & Graphic Designer. People can make their choice easily. Designer Pro 7 simply has everything for those who want Xara with the lot
    yes that's fair, with the caveat that pro does have some graphic features, eg to do with print and import/export file type filter enhancements, that P&GD does not have..

EDIT - oh and 'essentials' for the serious such as user defined keyboard shortcuts...
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 August 2011 at 08:45 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I must admit to agreeing wholeheartedly with what Mike stated in thread #30. Would not see myself having to consider if was or not worth the bother of upgrading I would just buy the product if the design & print tools kept abreast with the web development.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    which as we both know is rhubarb...

everyone please stay on topic; thanks
    too late I realise that some will take 'rubbarb' as meaning 'rubbish', when what I meant was 'beside the point' - the joy of slang

when I split this thread I envisioned it as a discussion of how to remove webstuff from the program now, as in SS's suggestion to remove the .dll - not changes to the UI and the reasons why members might want to have webstuff removed in the future

still it has developed along those lines and within reason that is fair enough....
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 August 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fix quote
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I would be willing to bet if print design features kept pace with web development stuff, this wouldn't be such a recurring theme.
    Ditto that.

me too
    Nothing lasts forever...