Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom HTML Menu with 'Loading Screen' Tweak

Hi all.

i have built a html menu with ******* DHTML Menu Maker, the menu works great but when i try and use the 'loading screen tweak from Covoxer the menu always appears during the load screen layer, this is the only think that appears on the load screen layer that shouldnt, my loading screen text appears ok aswell. I'm not sure if this is with the code i use to insert it or whether the tweak needs adjusting, hopefully someone can help! my site is at www.pcevo.co.uk you can see the problem here... although to keep on seeing the problem you need to CTRL + F5 to refresh without the cache otherwise the site loads to quickly.

i dont know what files would be best to upload to investigate so just let me know and i'll jump right on it.

Thanks

Rich.

Default Re: Custom HTML Menu with 'Loading Screen' Tweak

Sometimes third party scripts will break xara's HTML even if embedded correctly. It's also possible you have made a minor mistake in a placeholder or a layer. Have you tried using Xara's navbar maker instead?
    Perhaps you could attach your .web or .xar file that has this problem?

Hi ShapeShifter.

I have uploaded my .xar file the menu placeholder is located just underneath the paypal logo in the header and there is also one that is in the fixed side tab layer on the left, both are doing the same thing. i have messed around with the layers, trying diffrerent arrangements for the menus etc, but to no avail. thanks for taking a look for me

Alternatively if anyone knows of a working loading screen i can utilise here instead of the loading screen tweak, ive tried a couple but without any success, all i have found so far have little bugs in one way or another!
    Last edited by gwpriester; 17 August 2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: remove XAR file with passwords

I'll have a look. By the way, I saw no loading screen at all at the URL in post#1 - have you removed it ?

Looking at web preview and view source I see you have a repeated line:

<script type="text/javascript" src="stmenu.js">

As I don't have this file I can't see the effect of the menu as you do.

I'm not sure of the purpose of the first page named loading screen which in itself includes the loading screen tweak and layers?

I also note that the loading screen tweak layers are on all your pages in your site?
    Is this intentional?

I assume you only want this on the first page of your site only? (Normally this is named 'index')

In Utilities>Options>Page Size>Document the option 'Same layers on all pages...'
    If you uncheck this the above won't happen.

One final very important matter, please ask a moderator to remove your .xar file above immediately because you have saved all your publishing details and password in this document. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone to overwrite your site with something inappropriate..

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    I'll have a look. By the way, I saw no loading screen at all at the URL in post#1 - have you removed it ?
    sorry, i have removed it from the live site yes, it is still in the file i uploaded, but i think people are starting to view my site so i had to take it off, i could put it back on if absolutely needed?

Looking at web preview and view source I see you have a repeated line:

As I don't have this file I can't see the effect of the menu as you do.
    I think this is because u have 2 menus on this page it dosent seem to be causing any problems at the moment do you think it could?

I'm not sure of the purpose of the first page named loading screen which in itself includes the loading screen tweak and layers?
    this page was automatically added when i added the loading screen tweak, i juat left it there as i didnt know if removing it would cause problems, i didnt put it there intentionally, but again, it dosent seem to affect any other layers or the way they load.

I also note that the loading screen tweak layers are on all your pages in your site?
    Is this intentional?
    hmmm, no not really, you are right i have my site set to all layers the same thats why this has happened i can remove the layers from the other pages.

I assume you only want this on the first page of your site only? (Normally this is named 'index')
    lol, your not the first person to tell me that! i did this the first time by accident but then i realised it dosent seem to make a difference, my server still recognises home.htm aswell as index.htm do you think i should still change this? and if i do how do i still name the page 'Home'

One final very important matter, please ask a moderator to remove your .xar file above immediately because you have saved all your publishing details and password in this document. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone to overwrite your site with something inappropriate..
    wow, i cant believe i missed this! thank you for being so honest and letting me know asap, although i cant seem to find a way to contact a moderator? am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by PC Evolution View Post
    i cant seem to find a way to contact a moderator? am i missing something?
    There's a small triangle to the bottom left of all posts which can be used to report a post.
    I have just done so on your behalf.

The two "stmenu.js" lines in the head should not cause a problem, one is just not necessary.

One other thing, the Load Screen tweak has the layer order like this:

MouseOver
    MouseOff
    !--load screen end--
    !Load screen
    !--load screen begin--

Your file shows the three load screen layers above the mouseoff and mouse over, which is likely why your menu shows.
    You see, the way I understand the web layers is that the browser loads these them from the bottom up.
    So your pages are loading the content on the mouseoff before the load screen layer.

PC Evolution - I removed your XAR file as it contains your user name and password.

Because others may have downloaded your .xar file, I recommend you change your password. And if there are any links to your PayPal account, I would immediately change your PayPal password as well.

ShapeShifter : i will try and reorder the layers and have a tidy up as you suggest, i'll do it now and let you know how i get on and if it made a difference, thanks for contacting the moderator for me!

gwpriester : thank you for your assistance, i will do as you suggest immeadiately.