Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Tracing a Shape in a Vector Layer...

Hi, I was tracing a shap from a Photo (layer underneath) in a Vector layer. When I went to close the last segment to the start, It would NOT close (join to the Start) - Any ideas on 'Why' & What to do to get the last segment to Start to Close the Shape? I am stumped.

Thanks, Tom aka Hwy101
    Tom - Hwy101
    IP

Default Re: Tracing a Shape in a Vector Layer...

What's a vector layer?

Anyway, the shape should close unless you accidentally clicked away and started a new line without realizing it. I've done that many times before.
    You can press the END and HOME key which will show you the current start and end node of the selected line. Once you know which are which, you can drag the END node to the START node to join the shape, or press ENTER, or select either the END or START node and continue.
    IP

Talking Re: Tracing a Shape in a Vector Layer...

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    What's a vector layer?

Anyway, the shape should close unless you accidentally clicked away and started a new line without realizing it. I've done that many times before.
    You can press the END and HOME key which will show you the current start and end node of the selected line. Once you know which are which, you can drag the END node to the START node to join the shape, or press ENTER, or select either the END or START node and continue.
    I hope you are kidding about: "What's a vector layer?" -cause, now I have to ask, are the Instructions for Paint Shop Pro or Xara?

( see picture for what's a Vector Layer )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layers-Vector-Raster-Etc-03.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	83582
    Tom - Hwy101
    IP

lol...

Sorry Tom - comes of looking my at 'New Posts' and missing which forum they have been posted in.

Carry on..
    IP

Hi Tom

I only have PSP9 and I realise things may have moved on as you have X3 ['PSP13']...

In version 9 using the pen tool on vector layer you can join by going into edit mode [on the info bar] click on one end node and drag over the other until you see 'join' - however it may be different for X3

Why do you want to join them? - to fill in a vector layer for example in version 9 it has to rasterised and then as long as it overlaps you are ok, overlapped raster lines are joined by definition
    [again that might be different in your version]
    Last edited by handrawn; 16 August 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: clarity
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi Tom

I only have PSP9 and I realise things may have moved on as you have X3 ['PSP13']...

In version 9 using the pen tool on vector layer you can join by going into edit mode [on the info bar] click on one end node and drag over the other until you see 'join' - however it may be different for X3

Why do you want to join them? - to fill in a vector layer for example in version 9 it has to rasterised and then as long as it overlaps you are ok, overlapped raster lines are joined by definition [again that might be different in your version]
    Well, let's see - I was comparing Tracing in two different programs (PSPx3/PSP13) & Xara - I tried dragging the node over the other, did not get a 'Join' (but, I will try again) -I was just surprised that I could not close by drawing the final segment -seemed illogical. I do NOT want to Fill the Vector Shape (why I choose Vector) - I wanted the Shape to do things with in yet a 3rd Program; and, since I was having trouble with Tracing the Shape in Xara (I ended up with 4 groups -persisted with a 2nd attempt in Xara and finally got a shape that I could use to cut the piece out of the photo that I wanted to cut out) -I was going to import the Vector shape from PXPx3 to Xara to cut out the shape I wanted. Clear as mud, huh. I learn many things about both programs -some surprising.
    Tom - Hwy101
    IP

ok firstly - which format were you going to export your vector shape in - have you tried exporting a simple vector line to make sure it will export as a vector? - it might not and therefore you might be wasting your time unless you want to do all the work in PSP

secondly - which mode are you using:

lines and polygons
    point to point [bezier]
    freehand

I haven't much experience in using PSP vector layers - as far as I can see it refers to unjoined lines as 'line [or curve] segments' and joined lines as 'contours' but this may be simplistic

here is the X3 help section for modifying lines and curves:

http://product.corel.com/help/photop...x2007F&single=

specifically:

To connect multiple line segments

1 Create as many connected line segments as you want.

2 On the Tool Options palette, click one of the following buttons:

Create New Contour — connects line segments in an open shape

Close Contour — connects line segments in a closed shape

3 Click the Apply button.

hope this helps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Smile Re: Tracing a Shape in a Vector Layer...

(boy, I wish I had copied my reply -I took too long & lost it... so, I will try to reconstruct) steve j, it got pretty strange in PSPX3 (probably why I ended up with 4 groups of vector lines), why is was easier for me to re-do in Xara a 2nd time. the link to the Help file, I have -it has Helped me many times; but, I have learned in both Corel & Xara, 'How-to' ask the question is important too -as if not asked like they have put in the Help file, you will get no answer. The Leaning to use is important to me too.

And, now that I have the Dog cut out of the foto, I need to see if I am artist enough to capture the essence enough for something shrunk to the size of a quarter and segments filled with enamel colors -I may have to farm this part out... While pretty good at the 'arranging' of things, I admit to a lack of being a Real Life Artist like many of you Here! <sigh> Tom
    Tom - Hwy101
    IP