Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Upload time

Default Upload time

Hi Guys,
    My website went down two days ago, after I had attempted an upload that timed out or something.
    I have managed to re upload it, but it took over 4 hours. That was for about 10 pages, mostly text, a few photos, and one form widget - nothing overly fancy I would have thought.
    I wanted to start another site with mostly video, some of them between 30 and 60 minutes long.
    My questions are -
    Is 4 hours to upload normal for what I believe is a relatively small site?
    Is it going to take very long times to upload a video of say 30 minutes?
    Are there other considerations I need to look at if I want to develop a site that uses lots of video (eg. hosting package size)?

Any input on any of these issues is more than welcome.
    Thanks and best regards,
    Eoinmc

Default Re: Upload time

Hello Eoinmc

Upload time can be influenced by two things, the speed of your connection, and the available bandwidth of your web host. Even if you have a high speed connection, if your web host cannot handle information at a high speed rate, then the upload time could be long. But certainly not as long as you describe.

With a high speed connection such as cable or DSL your upload time for a site such as you describe should be a few minutes, or less. So unless you have a very slow dial up connection, something sounds very wrong.

Default Re: Upload time

Hi Gary,
    I thought it seemed overly long as well. I have a broadband modem, and I uploaded on my wireless connection. I realise that a direct cable connection is faster, and had tried that but it was still taking a few minutes for every 1% of upload.
    I thought my computer was acting up and defragged it. I even bought Magix PC tune up to clean it up, but no joy with the uploading.
    My web host is Blue Voda and they seem pretty reputable to me so I have to assume they have the ability to speedily handle the upload.

Everything seems ok. Internet is working well. Computer well tuned. My internet modem seems ok though I hear that they don't always provide the speeds they claim.

Could it be the amount of bandwidth my hosting package has available? My package is fairly basic.
    Thanks Gary
    Eoinmc