Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default check this one out it is a simple design

http://www.handyworkarlington.com/

This was a simple fast design.
    I used iframe on this to play music.

Default Re: check this one out it is a simple design

Maybe it is just me, but when I visit a site with music or some talking head saying welcome to my.... I'm gone. Even if there is something I want there.

My own personal neuroses aside, I might feel more confident if your handyman was a photograph of an actual competent and friendly looking person.

I like it but I think the music is too specific in style which may put some off because music is a personal thing with many different tastes, something more generic and less "in your face" might have been better.

Massive thumbs down on the music. I quite like the top banner illustration, but it's totally inappropriate for the website - it has nothing to do with the work of a handyman.

I think a revisit to this project is required. Simple can be good. Fast can be good. More thought and time is needed on this one.

ok the music is noisy and brash - but at least you provided a means of turning it off, perhaps this should be a bit more obvious though...

I also took a look at raintonline - there is some bad tense grammer there, if it is 'deliberate' for [ninja] effect I'm sorry it does not work, it just looks sloppy...
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 August 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: take out direct url
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Paul's comment brought to mind two things we used to say when I worked in advertising: "Give us five minutes and we'll give you an ad. Give us ten minutes and we'll give you a better ad!"

And the second was, "There is never time to do it right. But there is always time to do it over."

The consensus thus far is spend some more time with this site.

I would offer this suggestion. What are the things people are looking for when they invite a stranger into their home? And how can you best, and without a lot of hoo hah, can you communicate this in the site. This might be your only chance to snag this customer, so take the time, think it through, and you will have a better site that will work harder and produce more results.

I forgot I left this post, and yes I did notice the grammar errors at Raint Online. I had someone else write that for me, I'm fixing it and trying to make the site a bit better will publish that in a bit. Also thanks for the comments I'm not a webdesigner and all this helps me get better at building websites. I took a webdesign back in high school I just learn the basic of html and a bit of Dreamweaver. I'm a computer technician and I work in a small computer business once I found xara I tried the trial and felt in love with it(bought it the next day). I made our computer website with xara.... I had a website with "homestead" before using xara, but it was a bit limited, so I found WD7 to be better. Since our business gets a lot of customers and some of our customers have their own business I had a few people asking if I did website. At first I would just say No and then after I found xara I started to offer this service in my area. I just do this as a hobby and some extra cash. I wanna thank all for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok the music is noisy and brash - but at least you provided a means of turning it off, perhaps this should be a bit more obvious though...
    That was what I was thinking, I pressed the 'music' out of desperation, and it worked, with a delay, but I figured it out.
    And I don`t see any machanics or plumbing in your list, so that tool in the hand maybe a hammer? But that is knitpicking a bit.
    Maybe another pointer, give an estimate how long you have been doing this kinda work, now you have no idea, or I read over it?
    be aware, not to become a ware.