Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Business card-card weight

Hi,
    If buying card stock for business card....what is the standard weight of the card-stock?I have avery perforated stock but seems to be a lighter weight than normal business cards.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: Business card-card weight

Jim this wikipedia link may be helpful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_card

Generally 350 g/m² (100 pound) or 12 point thick stock.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

There are many ways to specify paper and as many years as I spent in the business the only way I could really tell was to feel the actual stock.

Some numbers were higher but in fact were not as thick. It is terribly confusing.

Thanks Bill,
    I finally found that after posting....my previous search all came up Avery...which they seem a 'Lighter weight'..
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

EDIT - in reply to Gary:

that might have something to do with weight being just one attribute of paper/board, which has no real direct bearing on either thickness or for that matter strength, except for a given specific batch/stock.... yes it can be confusing, I'd go by feel too if at all possible
    Last edited by handrawn; 08 August 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: header and typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Jim the Avery cards are a lighter stock so they will pass through the majority of the personal printers on the market.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi,
    thanks to all responders,
    I guess I will have to go to stationary store and 'feel-up' all the stock...hope I don't get labeled a pervert...LOL
    Jim
    P.s Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Hi, thanks to all responders, I guess I will have to go to stationary store and 'feel-up' all the stock...hope I don't get labeled a pervert...LOL Jim P.s Thanks again
    Good one Jim -Points for the Pun!
    Tom - Hwy101

The majority of inkjet/laser printers are designed for upto 250gsm max. Digital Printer/copiers are rated for 300gsm but some people use 350gsm through them (this is short run digital print market you may find on ebay etc) litho printed cards are normally in the 400gsm range. However - 300gsm silk is thicker than 300gsm gloss, and 300gsm pulp board is thicker than 300gsm silk. gsm or gramms per square metre is just it's weight and not it's bulk. If you have 350gsm silk than that is a reasonable thickness
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

ruellesmith is offline Banished New Member (No PMs)

300gsm is a weight, and does not have anything to do with how rigid the card feels. Bulk of the stock will determine how solid the card feels in your hand. While a rule of thumb is the heavier the weight, the more bulk, it is not always totally true. You can hold 2 different 300gsm stocks in your hand, and they may feel very different.