Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Short on Memory

Default Short on Memory

I am running a Inspirion 1750 with 4Gig of ram, when I use mt registered Xara Web Designer 7 Premium I get memory error when the site is being Exported, which then will not upload my site. is there any reason why 4Gig is not enough when the applicaiton only requires 512, no other applications are running in the back ground

Default Re: Short on Memory

You only have 4Gb of memory available when your PC is turned off actually

In other words, you might have 4Gb installed, but not 4Gb available once it's up and running..

Anyway - with your file, if it is graphics heavy, especially photos and so on, make sure your 'Optimize JPEGs...' from the Utilities Menu
    This is often the prime cause of running low on memory at export time.
    After you optimize, save and close Xara. Restart Xara then reopen your work again. This is necessary.

It may be true that Xara only needs 512Mb to run, but that doesn't allow for *anything* you plonk down on the page

Default Re: Short on Memory

I read that the out of memory messages happen when web designer calls on more than 1gb memory. Shape shifter is right, optimise jpgs, immediately save your work, close web designer then reopen, this clears the cache. May be good idea to save under different file name so you keep your original, you cant seem to undo the action and the first time i tried it some of my images blurred. Leave all the settings as they are.

Strangely enough i continually got this message while working on a 7mb file on a computer with 2gb ram, but not when working on a 10mb file on a computer with 512mb ram with even more images and pages in!