Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Object snapping does not work.

Hi all,

My "Magic Snap"[magnetic object snapping] has vanished/stopped working. Turning the magnet icon on and off does not do anything .I am using the latest Xara Designer Pro version [7.1.1.17261]. Is there any way to get it back without re-installing? I'm tired of having to re-install every time something goes wrong [which is kinda frequent]. I don't like having to reset the xara function icons each time [I use a different arrangement than the garden variety supplied].

I am using an i5 processor and have 8 gigs of memory running with Windows 7 OS.

Thanks

Default Re: Object snapping does not work.

John - Search Help for Magnetic object snapping (snap to objects). There is a lot of material there and the answer has to be buried in there somewhere.

Also, Soquili's excellent (and very useful) XaReg program will allow you to save and reload your custom controlbars. There's a download link in his signature.

Check your Options>Mouse>Magnetic snap radii
    If both point and line read 0.0 then that's very likely your problem

Hi,

Gary, I found that it is partially working. All that is missing are the colored guidelines. I see the intersection dots and the objects align properly. So how can I get the lines back? I guess re-installation is the answer.

Shape Shifter, Everything is set correctly but thanks for the thoughts.

amoore, I'll get the XaReg program. Sounds very useful.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOpen View Post
    All that is missing are the colored guidelines. I see the intersection dots and the objects align properly. So how can I get the lines back? I guess re-installation is the answer.
    Are you talking about the red dotted guidelines which come from dragging a ruler onto the page?

Have you enabled Rulers (Ctrl+L) then dragged a H or V rulers to the page? This will give you a dotted red line guide.

You can also add shapes to the guide layer (which will appear in your Page&Layer Gallery once you follow the above)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drag-ruler-guide.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	83450

ShapeShifter,

I'm talking about the snapping guidelines that should appear when one object aligns with another. All I see is the intersection points (dots) when moving an object. I wasn't talking about the ruler guidelines which work fine for me.

Sorry John, just trying to understand and help you know.

These blue lines you mean?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magic-snapping.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	83453

What happens when you press the asterisk[*] key on your keyboard number pad?
    Or try tapping 'S' while dragging.

Hi ShapeShifter,

Yes, the blue lines do not appear but the red dots do. The Asterisk key adds a Plus or Minus symbol to my cursor and the cursor then will not move an object. Tapping the S key while dragging does absolutely nothing.

I have other strange things going on with XDP7 and will relate them on a later post.

Thanks for your help.

Do you have any other software running which captures keystrokes? Or some special keyboard drivers for advanced configurations?
    The Asterisk key on the numberpad is the default key for toggling 'snap to objects' in Xara right back to X1. But if this key is in use by some other software it could be a clue to the problems you are encountering.